Reload this Page >

Traveling with children

Search

Traveling with children

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13th, 1999, 09:54 AM
Kellie

Traveling with children

I will be flying to Geneva/Montraux Switzerland, driving to Milan Italy, then flying to London, all in a two week preiod. I am traveling with a 22 month old. Do you have any suggestions of things to do or see that will interest a young child in any of the cities. Thank you.

Old Apr 13th, 1999, 10:13 AM
Joe Lomax

1) Bring your own disposable diapers. As you use them up, you will have more room in your suitcase for souvenirs. 2) Chase pigeons. 3) Gelato twice a day. 4) Visit churches. They are cool, have a place to sit down, and the amount of time spent visiting items of interest is approximately the same as the boredom limit for your child.

Old Apr 14th, 1999, 11:24 AM
marilyn

London: you might try feeding the swans in Kensington gardens, or visiting the Queen's stables. There are lots of great parks.

Old Apr 14th, 1999, 12:05 PM
Joanne

Good for you. We started traveling with our kids right away when they were born (and also without them on occasion). We just returned from Europe with our 15, 10 and 7 year, and their previous travel experiences made them great travelers. <BR> <BR>Just two comments: Bring a stroller everywhere. Even my 7 year would have liked to cruise around when his little legs got tired, and it will increase the time you will be able to spend sightseeing. <BR> <BR>Secondly, never underestimate the power of food. Stop often for food. When traveling with kids, we eat smaller meals and snacks 5 times a day, rather than 3 larger meals. It is amazing how tired and cranky everyone can be, then become instantly rejuvenated with something to eat. And your stops can be short and easy, like cheese, crackers, and fruit in the park. <BR> <BR>Have a great time.

Old Apr 15th, 1999, 01:23 PM
Dee

Why, unless you have no other choice, would you bring a 22 month old. At this age, children are interested in very little.

Old Apr 15th, 1999, 01:29 PM
michele

I agree with Dee, but if you must, the other suggestions are very good. <BR> <BR>Also, to all parents out there: please instruct your children on "flying etiquette". Kicking the back of another passeneger's seat the entire flight is not acceptable. When the passenger politely requests that this behavior stop, make sure it does. <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Apr 16th, 1999, 06:45 AM
Joanne

Dee, I beg to differ. You say that a 22-month-old child is interested in very little. You must not have had children. A 2 year old is in fact interested in everything. This is an important issue, and I think I'll post a new message on it.

Old Apr 16th, 1999, 08:19 AM
Dee

I guess I must clarify my opinion. How many of us go out ot eat or go to the mall or just basically go out frequently? Have you seen the number of kids that people bring out? I'm speaking of my generation 30-43 years. We were not brought up this way, but yet we don't teach our kids any manners in private, yet alone in public. I own a restaurant, and customers routinely give their children salt & pepper shakers, and the sugar caddy and all it's contents to play with. Many times I have had to approach a table that have given their children the Cheese & Pepper shakers to play with, yes, it is an Italian Restaurant, and ask for them, because their toddler is mouthing the parmesean cheese and my next customer will not want that kids germs. We were not raised this way. First of all, we didn't go out to eat every other night. Second, when we did go out it was a treat, and we were expected to act accordingly. We never talked back, or we knew that we wouldn't be going out again any time soon. Children are the same the world over, but that is not a good thing. It is your job as a parent to teach your children manners and how to act in public, what is appropriate and what is not. And to repect others, especially grown-ups. Too many parents seem to have taken a vacation from parenting when their kid is acting like a brat, and have relied on, he the excuse of he or she is expressing themselves. What a joke. Parenting is a full-time, lifetime committment. There is nothing more enjoyable than spending the day with children that have good manners, and a curious nature. The world is their oyster. If you teach your children how to behave, all adults will want to be around them.

Old Apr 16th, 1999, 08:30 AM
michele

Dee... <BR> <BR>Bless you

Old Apr 16th, 1999, 07:06 PM
raeona

And again (the blessing). Not to mention, your sentence should be emblazoned upon every birth certificate (and possibly every forehead) before any parent leaves the hospital: "Parenting is a fulltime, lifetime commitment"