Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Traveling with baby in Paris - any advice? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/traveling-with-baby-in-paris-any-advice-348945/)

Irish_girl Apr 24th, 2008 02:04 AM

Traveling with baby in Paris - any advice?

Hello -
We are going to be in Paris for a long weekend in June with our 9-month old baby (and grandma). First time there not on business, and wondering if anyone has experience traveling there with a baby - particularly restaurant suggestions. We are staying in a small apartment on the Ile St. Louis. Also I can't tell from the websites if we will be able to take our pushchair/stroller into the museums or not - anyone know?
Thanks in advance!
Jan

Lawchick Apr 24th, 2008 02:32 AM

Normally you can bring the pushchir in - no problem.

The French have more babies than anyone else in Europe. I bring my 6 month old everywhere in Paris - out for lunch/dinner (albeit early dinner)drinks you name it.

Irish_girl Apr 24th, 2008 02:44 AM

Thanks - are highchairs commonly available in the cafes as well or do we need to bring one that slips on the table? Our little one used to happily sit in her pushchair while we ate, but now she wants to be at the table where all the action is. :-)

JulieVikmanis Apr 24th, 2008 02:56 AM

Lawchick, when you say "early dinner" how early do you mean? We'll be traveling with a pregnant daughter who has requested early meals since she gets tired. So far, 7:30 is the earliest seating I've found available for restaurants. Can you suggest good places that seat earlier? Thanks. I assume Irish girl would find the info helpful also.

Lawchick Apr 24th, 2008 02:56 AM

Mine still sits in her pushchair or on my knee (though only this week at home she has graduated to a highchair - she's very excited - she also got her first mouthfulls of food - big week here in the Lawchick house).

I have seen high chairs of course, but to be sure to be sure I'd bring something like the small one that slips over a normal chair.

Irish_girl Apr 24th, 2008 03:05 AM

Yes, as Julie mentioned we're a little nervous about finding early enough seatings, but are going to try and keep her on London-time to buy us another hour in the evenings in Paris. Are the earliest seatings typically not that popular or should we be trying to make all of our reservations ahead of time?

Congrats on the move to solids, Lawchick! We started adding meats to the mushed food here this week and it went over quite well. Try a pureed avocado sometime and see what she thinks - our daughter would eat all avodados, all the time if I let her!

Lawchick Apr 24th, 2008 03:41 AM

7.30 is pretty early by Paris standards. However many Bistros and more casual places will serve basically all day. Some Brasseries will start at 7.

What we often tend to do with the baby is have a fairly fancy lunch and then something a bit more casual for dinner.

BKP Apr 24th, 2008 04:25 AM

The only high chair we found in Paris was at Hippopotamus a not very good but child friendly chain. Our son either sat in his stroller or on our laps the rest of the time.

Every bistro/brasserie (not a lot of "real" restaurants for us) was very kind and accommodating with our toddler. I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time.

DanM Apr 24th, 2008 06:02 AM

We traveled to Paris with babies on multiple occasions and never had any problems finding some place to eat. We usually held the babt while eating or left her in her stoller depending on the space available. We did not see many, if any, high chairs. When we went back last time without the kids, my wife did say it was nice to finally be able to look up rather than down at the stoller and where it was going.

Sally30 Apr 26th, 2008 07:44 AM

I was thinking of bringing my own "inflatable" little booster seat for our daughter who will be 20 mos. during our trip this fall (http://tinyurl.com/3sxnj7). It just clips onto a chair. I don't imagine that a casual bistrot/brasserie type restaurant would care that we are taking up three seats with the baby?