Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Traveling with a toddler: Vondelpark or Jordaan?

Old Jun 11th, 2015, 08:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm finalising a trip to Amsterdam in mid August. We've tentatively booked a flat in Vondelpark--the flat is only separated by a gate but I've been researching some more and keep reading about the Jordaan area.

I'm just wondering which area would be better to be in with a three year old.
Old Jun 11th, 2015, 10:03 PM

Do not understand several points in your post, can you please clarify.
You say the flat is separated by a gate. What is the flat separated from with the gate and how secure is that gate.
What are exactly are your concerns regarding your child?
Old Jun 12th, 2015, 05:39 AM
Original Poster

@ribeirasacra
What I mean by "separated by the gate" is that there's easy access to the park from the apt as it is by the entrance.
I'm not necessarily concerned that Vondelpark is an unsafe area.
I was just curious to know which area would be more appealing (e.g. sight seeing, shops, restaurants, etc.) since we're traveling with a 3-year old.
Hope this helps! I wrote my original post before going to bed last night so it might not have been too clear.
Old Jun 12th, 2015, 05:57 AM

It can be hot in August. Jordaan is densely built with small streets, that can be unpleasant . There is not much space for a young one to run around. I would certainly go for the Vondelpark arena. I am living in Amsterdam and wouldn't dream of staying with a young child in Jordaan in August. The few people who live there with children leave for the coast, their second (small) home of a campground in the country.
Old Jun 12th, 2015, 07:08 AM

The park is lovely....
Agree about Jordan...
Old Jun 12th, 2015, 08:22 AM

Amsterdam is small and public transport is freely available. Thus being near all the sights may not be a top priority.
I would go with something with some space and near public transport.
The comment about everyone leaving for the coast etc Is not because of the unpleasantness of August. It is because a Lot of Dutch take their vacations then.
Old Jun 12th, 2015, 09:15 AM

https://www.google.com/search?q=Melk...=1600&bih=1075

In Vondel Park do like locals do with young kids - take them to the Melkhuis - Milk House which is actually a cafe serving alcohol too along with milk - parents can sit and have a drink at a table overlooking the young kids play area - win, win - a reason perhaps to be close to Vondel Park, which is in an area much more quiet than the Jordaan.
Old Jun 12th, 2015, 10:21 AM

Vondelpark, definitely

@ribeirasacra: summer holidays in NL are spread out over july, august and part of september. There are 3 regions, north, middle and south and they rotate by schedule: Early, Mid or Late. Which means that if you live in region south, but work in region north, your child's holiday may not coincide with your work holiday, as has always been the case in our family.

I lived in Jordaan with a small toddler: if it's hot, there's only a couple of places where you can go: Noordermarkt, Westermarkt, but the place we would visit a lot was Vondelpark. There's also a very nice toddler pool near the open air stage.
Old Jun 12th, 2015, 04:41 PM
Original Poster

Thank you very much! I think we'll stick with our original plan of staying in Vondelpark then. From what I can see with google street view, public transport will make it very easy to take us to the spots we want to see.
Old Jun 13th, 2015, 06:43 AM

Are you staying at the Overtoom side of Vondelpark? In that case the #1 tram will get you to the center of town in no time.

And Overtoom has become more interesting lately, with many new and interesting restaurants popping up.

If you walk across Vondelpark you end up in well heeled Willemspark, also a very nice part of town.
Old Jun 13th, 2015, 06:47 AM

https://www.google.nl/maps/place/Kin...!6m1!1e1?hl=en