Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Traveling with a Pet (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/traveling-with-a-pet-702906/)

Stormin280 May 6th, 2007 09:35 AM

Traveling with a Pet

Okay,
My wife and I are planning to visit my father-in-law, next year.
He lives in Western Ukraine, around Chernivtsi. We would like to take our dog, Pop has become fascinated with the pictures.
Any advice?

BTilke May 6th, 2007 10:02 AM

Where do you live, where will you be traveling from, how big is your dog, have you travelled internationally with your pet before and how long will you be gone?
IOW, if you live in the U.S., have a dog that weighs more than 15 pounds and would have to fly in cargo, and you're planning just a short visit (under a month), this is NOT a good idea. If your dog can travel in the cabin with you, is a happy camper when traveling, and you won't have any problems getting into the Ukraine or back to your home with your pet, then...maybe.

anchoress May 6th, 2007 10:20 AM

eg rabies status and other regulations come also to mind. ??availability of vet care there in case of illness....This is something we would not try. Maybe a Guide Dog for the Blind organisation could advise you? Their clients must face this and will be au fait with all the problems.

djman102 May 6th, 2007 10:22 AM

It definitely depends on where you are and how long you'll be there. I'd recommend at least a consultation with a company that specializes in transporting pets. My suggestion is based on our experience of moving our cats from the US to the Middle East during our 3-year stay. They can advise you about whether your dog can travel in cabin or cargo, as well as all bureaucratic hurdles (updated vaccinations, USDA permits, ID chips). We felt many of these things were better left for people with the knowledge and experience to handle. It cost us about $1000 USD per animal one-way, and we handled a couple of the items ourselves.

Stormin280 May 6th, 2007 10:49 AM

Thank you all.

You confirmed what I had thought.
The little guy will stay at my daughters and play with his buddy (my grandson).

Again Thanks

BTilke May 6th, 2007 10:55 AM

Good decision! What are the chances that your father in law can come visit you (and the pooch) as well?

Stormin280 May 6th, 2007 12:36 PM

BTilke,
POP is a one of a vanishing breed.
He survived Stalin, Hitler, Stalin for a second time, Exile (he survived WWII and was Ukrainian, hence guilty).
He is a family member, my father-in-law and a dear friend. He is also getting on in age, so we try but don't push.
If he does not want to travel, well I respect that.
Again thank you for your input, it confirmed my oldest daughter's, she is a Vet, so I know the little guy will be well taken care of, beside she gives me a discount on vet service! Also the little guy gets home care since he's family.
Maybe we will buy POP a puppy when we are there.