Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Traveling with a 15 mo. old to Vienna in winter (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/traveling-with-a-15-mo-old-to-vienna-in-winter-816334/)

casherma Dec 1st, 2009 06:51 PM

Traveling with a 15 mo. old to Vienna in winter

Hello,
My husband is traveling to Vienna, Austria for a month, Feb. 15-March 15 for business. I would love to go with him but would also really like to take our 15 mo. old son. He is such a good baby and handles 6 hour car rides beautifully. We are taking our first plane trip from Chicago to Phoenix this christmas so we'll see how that goes. A couple of things I am concerned about: 1.) the plane ride, obviously, 2.) the winter weather and pushing him in a stroller through snowy streets 3.) limited activities for mom/baby but also allowing me to see the city.

I would appreciate any input or idea as I have never been to Vienna.

Thanks

yk Dec 2nd, 2009 07:52 AM

I hope molker, a poster who is very familiar with Vienna, will see this and respond to your query.

I've been to Vienna twice and I recall lots of cobblestone streets, so hopefully your stroller has sturdy wheels.

I think Europeans in general are more used to bringing children to museums - even toddlers; so that's definitely an endless # of museums you can bring your child to; to stay out of the cold.

Another place I think he'll enjoy is the Butterfly House near the Hofburg complex: http://www.schmetterlinghaus.at/

PeaceOut Dec 2nd, 2009 08:12 AM

What a wonderful opportunity, to live in Vienna for a month. Go for it! It might be challenging to accommodate your baby's needs, but so worth it.

Is your toddler too big to be carried in a back pack while you sightsee? Otherwise, take a sturdy stroller because the narrow cobblestone streets will be tough.

Just do it!

molker Dec 2nd, 2009 12:51 PM

People in Vienna have babies and small children too and have little or no trouble moving about and living everyday life.
Come and visit.
While some old streets in the city center have some cobblestones ,the majority of sreets and pedestrian zones are user friendly.
many corners have revised curbing to allow easy crossings.
Most all UBahn /subway stations have elevators for easy access.
New streetcars are basically at street level
Many bus have easy accesss and all have special places for baby carriage , strollers - even safety belts should you wish to use them.
Cafes are mostly user friendly and easily allow strollers without troubles.
Supernmarkets have the usual child seats.

The large number of city parks seem full of strollers , kids on nice days.

While flying , most airlines have a bed- like device that fits on the bulkhead of the aircrft.
The first row of the bulkhead area is normally at first reserved for families with small kids - so traveling is easy .
Some board families with kids first.
The stroller taken away just as you enter the aircrft and returned immediately as you de plane.

molker Dec 2nd, 2009 12:52 PM

Great zoo at Schonbrunn too.

annhig Dec 2nd, 2009 01:03 PM

Hi casherma

here's a map of Vienna showing some of the parks.

http://www.traveldodo.com/webmaster/austria/vienna

There's a nice one at the Schoenbrun too, which definitely has a lift at the neaby underground station - we noticed them everywhere.

also at the Prater [remember that wheel in the Third Man?] there are lots of things for little children to enjoy as well as big ones, plus nice cafes and traditinoal restaurants.

I'm sure you'll have a great time,

regards, ann

casherma Dec 2nd, 2009 07:57 PM

Thank you for all the information. After I posted, I did a bit more research on "child friendly" Vienna and found some great ideas such as the Lipizzan horses, a puppet theatre, the Zoom museum...I guess I have to approach this vacation very differently than I would if I were traveling alone or just with my spouse:) Is the zoo open in the winter? Also, based on my research it seems the weather during the Feb-Mar. time period is quite similar to Chicago? Am I correct in this? One more idea I had...taking my little guy to a story time at a neighborhood library, any possibilities I could find one in English? Now...just to find a dog sitter...

Thanks again for the info. Keep it coming!

casherma Dec 2nd, 2009 08:19 PM

Oh, one more thing...is there a better area in the city to stay such as around the city centre? Most likely we will be in a Marriott hotel such as the Vienna Marriott or perhaps at the Renaissance. How are these locations? Thanks.

molker Dec 3rd, 2009 12:25 AM

The zoo is open year round

try the following tourist info
www.wien.info

a section on families

Avoid the Prater in winter except for the Giant Wheel most things are closed.

Vienna has an active American Womens Club they with activities for english spraking kids - good for moms too.
You can google for it

Also a Newcomersclub for good info.

Have you considered an apartment for your stay.
Kitchen is very handy many choices in the city center less confining than a hotel room but still with all comforts.
If emplyer is paying for the stay- they may agree as an apartment generally cheaper than a hotel.

Marriott OK location but no character and bland to most here. This on the Ring several others in the chain -Courtyards less than great locations.
Renaissance several under that brand one poorly located for a month stay.

molker Dec 4th, 2009 07:48 AM

Another good source of information regarding Vienna and Kids - including child friendly restaurants and much more

www.citykids.at

in german and english