Traveling with 90 year old aunt

Oct 13th, 2005, 07:18 PM
Original Poster

Traveling with 90 year old aunt

My great aunt who is 90 has asked my wife and me to go to France with her next year. She'd like to tour the South of France by car (I'd do the driving) and visit the many villages there. She's active and in good health, but I have concerns about the flight and the stress of traveling for 2 weeks, as well as getting medical care for her in case she needs it. Should she get her doctor's ok to travel? Does anyone have any experience with this? Or any tips that would be helpful for touring this region with my elderly aunt?
Oct 13th, 2005, 07:25 PM

Hi
has she needed medical help recently?
Of course if there's a particular recent concern other than her age, she should discuss the whole thing with her doctor, but otherwise I think you may be more concerned than she or her doctor may be.
Just build in a loose enough schedule so that you're not on the go from morning til night, and perhaps choose no more than two base towns or cities to settle in. Do daytrips from those, so that the drives aren't any longer than an hour or two at a clip. good luck
Oct 13th, 2005, 07:44 PM

Consider getting medical/travel insurance that includes medivac.
www.insuremytrip.com will let you compare various companies.
Oct 13th, 2005, 08:57 PM

Hello Marrobs, how great that your 90 year old aunt wants to go to France next year (when she will be 91 years old I assume) and how wonderful that your wife and you are thinking about doing this.

Having said that I gently suggest that you do not buy the airline tickets right now. Having had some wonderful elder relatives I am only to aware how quickly their health situation can change, especially when they arrive at the grand age of 90 years! Our family lost two elders just last year, both had sudden health problems, completely unexpected.

I would at this point talk and plan the trip but not buy the airline tickets. I personally would also have your dear aunt have a medical checkup with her doctor before the final decision is made. With her permission I would be in on the converation when the doctor gives his evaluation.

If all seems "GO" for your dear aunt I sure would buy medical and evacuation insurance at the same time I purchased the airline tickets. The website that kybourbon advised about seems to be highly thought of. MedJet is a company that evidently guarantees they will bring the traveller home to the hospital of their choice in case of a medical problem. I believe that you will find that company on www.insuremytrip.com also.

I truly hope this trip will work out for all three of you. If it does it sounds very special and something you will always remember. Best wishes.
Oct 14th, 2005, 03:54 AM
ira

Hi M,

>... I have concerns about the flight and the stress of traveling for 2 weeks,...

Go slow. You are on holiday.

Your aunt probably won't admit to being tired and will try to keep going too long so as not to spoil your trip. It will be up to you to schedule breaks where you just sit, sip something and people watch.

Medical care in France is very good. If your aunt doesn't have medical insurance other than medicare, she should get it.

Consider purchasing trip insurance, in case you might have to cancel.

For evacuation insurance consider

http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/me...p/benefits.asp
Basic membership gives you 100k worth of evacuation insurance (not medical coverage- but just to get you home) for diving or non-diving accidents or injuries from anywhere 50 miles from your home or farther.

The family membership is $44.

Enjoy your visit.