Traveling w/ Seasoned Citizens

Old May 14th, 2003, 05:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Traveling w/ Seasoned Citizens

We are going to Tuscany in 9/03 with my parents.They are in their 70's and in fair condition.We have rented a house in the country between Cortona & Montepulciano.I am not familiar with this area and wonder if some hill towns may be too "hilly" and should be avoided.Thanks for any suggestions.
Old May 16th, 2003, 06:15 AM
Original Poster

Old May 16th, 2003, 10:02 AM

Hi Henry. I can't help you with Tuscany but I recently took my 85 yr old mother to England and France and I planned everything based on her walking skills. We had great assistance from British Airways so airports weren't a problem but forget hills. We took cabs. If you aren't renting a car, I think you may find getting around difficult. I also think that Tuscany is probably mostly hilly - you might want to check out a map (one with the geography). My mom was happy to walk only just a bit then sit down somewhere and have a drink. - Hmmm . . that sounds bad - have a soda or coffee. Have you considered getting your parents into an exercise class this summer? Muscle can be built at any age and the exercise will help to maintain bone mass. Regular brisk walking will increase stamina. I bought one of those seats (3 legged, folding) but sent it back because I didn't think Mom's derriere would fit on the small seat (forgive me, Mum). If you can imagine the worst scenarios and then plan things out a bit, everyone should be able to have an enjoyable vacation.
Old May 16th, 2003, 10:08 AM
Original Poster

Shanna,thanks for your advice.Although we will be renting a car you seem to suggesting I start putting the stick about and get them into shape.Probably a good idea.
Old May 16th, 2003, 10:26 AM

I think the issue with hill towns is not so much that the town is hilly, but the town is often on top of a hill. While the town itself may have some hills or stairs, the ascent to the town is the more extreme walk. If you can drive into town, or park outside and take public transport as available (bus, funicular) your problem may be eliminated. However, if your parents are not walkers, they should really get in shape before the trip. They'll probably be doing a lot of walking, even on the flat.
Old May 16th, 2003, 10:31 AM

Hi Henry,
I agree with Shanna's advice to get your folks moving this summer. While the only town that really sticks in my memory as having really steep hills is Montepulciano, (at least of the ones we visited), they all had some definite inclines to walk up/down - especially when walking from the parking areas to the town itself.
BTW, I can't help but wonder if seasoned citizens are anything like Howard's free range children. ;-)
Old May 29th, 2003, 09:18 AM
dln

My parents, who are in their early 70s, have been staying in Umbria for the last two months. I wouldn't say either of them are atheletes, or even enthusiastic walkers, yet they have been doing hill town after hill town. With great gusto, too. My parents bought rubber soled walking shoes before they left, and made sure they broke them in. The shoes were Ecco brand, but there are other good brands like Mephisto. I'm pretty sure that Rick Steves had an article on his website about good shoes. Another thing is that my parents know how to pace themselves when they're in hill towns. Like when my mother says "Look, Ted, there's a gelato shop just ahead! Let's take a break!" Have a great time and go for it.