Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Traveling via: Ryanair from Spain to Bilbao

May 25th, 2012, 09:48 AM
Original Poster

Group of 3 are looking to visit Guggenheim museum in Bilbao and will be traveling from Barcelona. It's a 6hr trip via RENFE. To make the best of time I'm considering flying. Ryanair displays airfare euros. If I should book it, would I pay with my debit or cc. I will continue from Bilbao to Madrid either by flight or train. Any and all input is appreciated.
May 25th, 2012, 11:09 AM

Ryanair is cheap. You get what you pay for. All extras cost extra money. Remember that or you will be dissapointed.

I've travelled with Ryanair many times, but never to Barcelona or Bilbao.

I think their flights from Barcelona actually leave from one of the airports outside the city (Girona?), so you have to add the time and cost of getting to the airport. I have no idea if the airport in Bilbao is actually in the city or not.

When they say one free piece of cabin luggage they mean ONE piece. Not a backpack and a large purse. Not a small rollaboard and a small backpack. Not a backpack and a computerbag. It's ONE bag only.

Don't forget to check-in online and print out a boarding pass, preferably a day or so before the flight. They can print out boarding passes at the airport for you, if you forget, but it can be more expensive than the cost of the flight.

Any food and drink costs money. Lots of money. On the other hand, no one protested when I ate my own sandwiches I brought from home.

Priority boarding costs extra money. If you don't have priority boarding you will have to wait in a long line and get whatever seat is left when you get on the plane. I think I saw something about being able to reserve seats, last time I booked, but I strongly suspect that costs even more money.
May 25th, 2012, 11:14 AM

Be sure you are leaving from El Prat and NOT Girona or Reus.

Take luggage restrictions SERIOUSLY.

And whatever you do, DO NOT FORGET TO GET YOUR BOARDING PASS STAMPED AT THEIR TICKET WINDOW IF YOU DO NOT HAVE AN EU PASSPORT.

Otherwise, if it gets you to where you are going.. and cheaply, what's there to question?

You may need everyone's passport info when booking. JFYI in case you don't have it nearby. Don't forget when comparing prices to add on the high credit card fee..
May 25th, 2012, 11:15 AM

Remember the Bilbao airport bus drops you off in front of the museum.
May 25th, 2012, 11:17 AM

Vueling also fliesfrom Barcelona to Bilbao sevral. times a day
Easy jet from Bilbao to Madrid.
The train takes too long.
Check which airline is best for you.
P.s. I think RA now has flight from Barcelona proper.
May 25th, 2012, 11:48 AM

I travel frequently with Ryanair and never buy priority boarding.
May 25th, 2012, 11:58 AM
Original Poster

Thank you. Yes, I had heard of the luggage situation and plan to attempt only to travel with a backpack and of course a tiny over the shoulder purse or mini backpack for day travel.
May 25th, 2012, 12:01 PM

Holy cow. Just priced a trip tp France from Spain.. ticket cheap enough. 60E.... one checked bag 50E.. use a credit card 12E
May 25th, 2012, 12:11 PM

When are you planning on going? Vueling flights are going FROM €29.99 (plus I think €12 for check-in luggage and €5 to use your credit card). I flew them from Paris to Barcelona before and found their service and quality a lot better than Ryan Air.

(and they fly out of BCN, not the outer airports)
May 25th, 2012, 12:12 PM

Your purse or mini backpack will have to fit into your carry on luggage. Only one hand luggage is permitted.
May 25th, 2012, 12:12 PM

Vueling also flies from BCN to Bilbao. It's the child of Iberia.

Some folks detest Ryanair. Here's a related website.
http://www.ihateryanair.org/
May 25th, 2012, 12:13 PM

Jomagpie : Ryanair now flies from Barcelona airport as well as from Reus and Girona.
May 25th, 2012, 12:14 PM

@Pvoyageuse - good to know! Thanks.
May 25th, 2012, 12:24 PM

"Thank you. Yes, I had heard of the luggage situation and plan to attempt only to travel with a backpack and of course a tiny over the shoulder purse or mini backpack for day travel."

But you can only take one bag per person into the cabin. So a backpack and purse counts as two.
Also make sure the backpack fits the dimensions stated in the T&Cs. They usually check at the gate.
May 25th, 2012, 01:06 PM

Be aware that luggage sizes are differnt in much of erope than they ar in the US. Here the whelie can be 22" and they do;t cont the whels. In many places in europe the max sie is 19" and the INCLUDES the wheels. If you are too big (at all) they will gate chck it for you. On a discount airline this can be very expensive.

(I had a client and flew often in and out of Zurich. Frequently americans had to have their (larger - 22") carry-ons gate checked - since the planes (smaller) were full and the luggage simply wouldn't fit in the cabin. And no amount of pleading will help. Unless your mini bag fits in a pocket - it will be considreed a second item, (And wear the coat -don;t carry it).
May 25th, 2012, 01:33 PM

I live in Manchester, England and I've just been to Bilbao for a few days. Loved it. The airport is approx. 23kms out of the city and there is an airport bus, every half hour. Cost is 1.35 Euros. Takes about 15 mins. Lots of cheap places to eat in Bilbao. The Tapas are great. Good shopping. Quality shoe shops. Plenty of up to the min. fashion. Zara, the Spanish chain is very good. The Guggenheim is outstanding and the old town is really interesting. You CAN drink the water.Lots of good coffee shops and public transport is good and cheap, although you don't realy need it in the city.
Personally I would not fly Ryanair if it was free! My choice for a low cost carrier is Easyjet every time. Enjoy your trip.
May 25th, 2012, 01:38 PM

With Ryanair reading the T&Cs is not just a good idea but compulsory. They make a lot of money from people who think rules don't apply to them or don't bother reading the rules

I refer the OP to the standard text on the subject - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAg0lUYHHFc - most of it true.
May 25th, 2012, 07:07 PM

Curiosity: Will you spend time in Bilbao or simply go to the museum?
May 25th, 2012, 08:04 PM

I prefer Vueling.

You do not have to worry about terrorists on Ryan, because even suicide bombers would not risk the wrath of Ryan.

Ryan has more rules than a monastery.
May 25th, 2012, 08:05 PM

The road from the airport into Bilbao goes through a tunnel onto a bridge that skims across the top of the Guggenheim, a spectacular introduction. Bilbao has used its famous new museum to revive its economy after a long industrial decline. Lots of history, particularly its opposition to the Franco regime which you might hear if you take one of the city tourism bureau's substantial walking tours.http://www2.bilbao.net/bilbaoturismo...r/bilbaowt.htm
Good food, too, though not quite San Sebastian. Overshadowed, but worthwhile, the city also is home to a beaux-artes museum that has been expanded and modernized. http://www.museobilbao.com/
P.s.: I also vote for Vueling over Ryanair.