Notices

Traveling via Bus in Slovenia

Nov 16th, 2011, 03:34 PM
Original Poster

Traveling via Bus in Slovenia

I would appreciate help and advice on traveling in Slovenia by bus. I suspect renting a car is a better way, and I may do that, but I would first like to see if it is reasonable to travel to the major sites via bus. My wife and I would like to spend 6 or 7 nights in Ljubljana, in July, and use that as a base from which to take day trips. The main problem I am having with a rental car is the lack of parking in downtown Ljubljana - at a hotel or even public parking at night.
Considerations for using bus travel is schedule to and from (frequency/alternatives), space generally available, travel time. I can find very little detail on the web, so any knowledge you have will really help.
OR, if you thoughts on where to lodge in Ljubljana that is "car friendly" that also would be very helpful. Thank you in advance, Jim
Nov 16th, 2011, 03:53 PM

I stayed at the Slamic B&B in Ljubljana in September. I did not have a car there but they do seem to offer free parking if you arrange it in advance:

http://www.slamic.si/en/index.html

Lodging is expensive in Ljubljana, and this place is a great value for the money especially considering its location. At this time they don't take credit card reservations through any agency or website, you simply make reservations via email directly with them. The place is only a block or two further from the center than I'd prefer but still not a bad walk to Prešeren Square (SPrešernov trg). Easy to dig up the Tripadvisor reviews.

If you spend the first day or two in Ljubljana without a car (no need for one), it's an easy walk up to the train and bus station if you need to pick up one there; I picked up my Sixt car there once I checked out of the Slamic and left Ljubljana.

FYI, I drove from Ljubljana up to Lake Bled, taking the scenic route through the cute town of Škofja Loka and then through the hills via Železniki and Dražgoše - windy, narrow roads but AMAZING SCENERY; if you get the free tourist map at the TI you can easily follow the signs to each town and on to Bled. I never made a wrong turn or got lost (no GPS). I highly recommend taking this scenic detour if you will be driving to Bled.
Nov 18th, 2011, 01:50 PM
Original Poster

Andrew, thank you very much for this information. I have looked at the Slamic B&B and it does look like a good choice - and they do have some parking available if arranged ahead, so that is a good alternative. I think a car for the day trips would be advantageous, and Ljubljana probably a good central point to call home. Thanks also for the driving tips. It sounded like you did well driving in Slovenia.
Thanks again, Jim
Nov 18th, 2011, 06:37 PM
kja

Another "car friendly" location in Slovenia is Lake Bled, but I think you'll find that Ljubliana is a tad more central (they are very close to one another, with the airport in between) and I think you'll find that Ljubljana offers more options for dinner. But it might be worth staying a night or two in Lake Bled anyways - it is beautiful! Enjoy.

Search this Thread