Reload this Page >

Traveling to the UK for the first time in September 2017

Old May 13th, 2017, 07:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello!
My husband and I will be traveling to the UK from 9/7 - 9/20. First trip to Europe together! We want to stay in central London with day trips abroad (Lake District, Cliffs of Dovor, etc). I have two main questions, but any tips are welcome!

1. AirBNB vs a hotel - suggestions for either? Again, lookin for something in central London.

2. Must-see destinations in the U.K.? We have tickets to Last Night at the Proms, but that is it so far.

Thanks!
Britney
Old May 13th, 2017, 08:01 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
random comments:

The Lake District is NOT a day trip from London. It is hundreds of miles away. You would need at least 3 days for travel up, 2 nights/1.5 days there, and travel back.

Dover Castle and the Cliffs can be done as a day trip from London by train.

>>1. AirBNB vs a hotel - suggestions for either? Again, lookin for something in central London.>2. Must-see destinations in the U.K.?
Old May 13th, 2017, 10:35 PM

London is fun, but for a first visit, I suggest 5 to 7 nights, with a couple of short trips outside of London, plus a couple of other places for a few nights.
Old May 14th, 2017, 02:28 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
hi, do you know that your dates are writen the non-european way, yep welcome to abroad, still I managed to work out 14 days or so in a good time to visit UK.

Interests, ages (Britney suggests about 21 )

Ok, you need a good guide book, try Rough Guide.

You need to understand the public transport for London
https://tfl.gov.uk/
and the trains
seat61.com

ABNB, B&B, Hostels, Hotels it depends on how much money, how much time you are going to spend in the rooms and how much support you will need. For this we need more info. (see above)

Cars, I only mention it as a, we drive on the left, b, central London is no place for them, c, you may need one if you want to visit some tiny little place, if not trains, buses and the tube will do fine.

Must sees; Oxford or Cambridge, St Pauls Cath, the V&A museum, Eden Project and then all the rest or the structures built up over the past 1000 years. I would recommend Time-out for London.

Also worth reading up on the "invisible queue" and how to order and pay for things in a pub. Welcome to a different culture, speaking of which London is the most diverse city on the planet, be prepared to hear every language under the sun.
Old May 14th, 2017, 02:32 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entr...b0bb2d08717cfa

http://www.timetravel-britain.com/ar...vel/pubs.shtml

http://www.studfiles.ru/preview/4073314/page:30/

Have fun
Old May 14th, 2017, 05:44 AM

Hi, banglea. You'll also be in England for the annual London Open House weekend, so you'll have extra opportunities to see inside some historic buildings. The 2017 guide is not yet available, but the website is below.

Many of the buildings are always open, but the ones to focus on are the ones that aren't. Have a wonderful time!

http://www.openhouselondon.org.uk/index.html
Old May 14th, 2017, 05:59 AM

I am a Londoner born and bred so obviously very proud of what it has to offer - but do agree with previous comments 1 week is enough in the capital. Why not spend the second week somewhere else - perhaps head north - visit Yorkshire Dales and the beautiful old cities of York and Harrogate. Or head west to the Devon/Cornwall coast and visit Georgian city of Bath. But if you don't want to travel that far just travel an hour out of London to Kent (known as The Garden of England), stay in an old manor house hotel, visit lots of quaint villages, castles and country pubs. You can even do a quick hop over to France for the day, or stay overnight and visit Bruges (Belgium). Honestly there is so much to see!! Do let me know if you want any more specific recommendations. Have a lovely trip!!