Traveling to Paris and London

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 28th, 2011, 03:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am currently in Afghanistan at an FPO AE address and am in need to having some Euros before I hit up Paris because I have rented out an apartment for the week, and the owner will only accept Travelr's checks or cash. I haven't found a company yet to send me Traveler's checks to an FPO AE address. I was wondering if there is a place in the London Airport (That's my first destination) that I would be able to charge to my debit card to get the required amount of Euros in cash, or if there is any other clever ways of safley withdrawing the required amount of cash to be able to pay this guy for his services. I have an ATM withdraw limit of $600 and I need about 560 euros. Does any one have any ideas or is there a place in Paris in the Eurostar thats I can just hop off and make a credit card charge right then and there to get the reqired amount of Euros needed?
Old May 28th, 2011, 04:17 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Not a huge problem really. You can get € from an ATM after you are in Paris. I'd contact your bank to see if they will raise your daily limit - usually they will --even if it is only temporary.

If your bank won't raise your limit, $600 is more than €400 -- so just take a couple hundred $$ w/ you and go to the bureau de change at Gare du Nord (or at St Pancras - but Nord would be better) and exchange for €. Those €150+ will cost a but more but not a big deal.

And you never want to use a credit card to get cash if you can help it . . .
Old May 28th, 2011, 04:18 PM

oh - meant to add -- whether you are military or support -- thank you for your service . . .
Old May 28th, 2011, 05:14 PM
Original Poster

Marine Corps, and no problem. Is there a place like American Express at the London Airport where you might be able to purcahse travler's checks?
Old May 28th, 2011, 05:20 PM

Is this what you are looking for? Amex locations in London.

http://www212.americanexpress.com/ds...00defaad94RCRD
Old May 28th, 2011, 06:23 PM

They might not have travelers checks on site --and if they do, the premium to buy € TCs will be pretty steep.

I really think you are 'over thinking' this and seeing it as a bigger problem than it is.

Even IF your bank won't raise your daily limit -- at today's rate you have access to more than £415. You only need £145 more. To get that plus maybe €50-€60 spare to get you through the first day - all you'd need to exchange in cash is approx $290.

So take $300 in US currency and exchange it at Gare du Nord and get the rest from an ATM --easy peasy. Neither transaction should take more than a couple of minutes. (You <i>might</i> have to use your debit card twice since some ATMs have a per-transaction limit -- nothing to do w/ your daily limit.)

And IF the bank will raise your limit -- it is even easier . . .

If you buy € in London --you will essentially pay a double exchange $ > £ > € and they'll nail you w/ fees.
Old May 28th, 2011, 06:25 PM

OOPS - got my symbols mixed up

Should read >> <blue>. . .at today's rate you have access to more than €415. You only need €145 more. . . .</blue><<

Did I confuse things enough??
Old May 28th, 2011, 09:49 PM

StackOut - don't buy a lot of Traveler's Checks. If you're only going to use one for the apartment rental, you'll be stuck with the rest of them. Friend of mine couldn't get any merchants to take them so when he needed $$ he had to go to a money exchange or bank to get cash. Use your debit card for cash and a credit card for purchases.

My thanks for your service in the MC as well. Please enjoy your trip! Am sure you will have a great time.
Old May 29th, 2011, 05:12 AM
ira

Hi S,

As you have been advised, have your bank temporarily raise your daily limit and/or bring several hundred dollars cash.

Get your Euro in Paris.

If you buy them in London you will be charged for USD to GBP and then for GBP to Euro - a very expensive way to do it.

Enjoy your visit.