Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Traveling to Naples/Rome (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/traveling-to-naples-rome-1111642/)

jbarbalinardo Jun 7th, 2016 10:19 PM

Traveling to Naples/Rome

Traveling to Naples, Italy for the month of July 2016. Will be flying out of Rome on August 1st. Looking for restaurant, living accomodations, events, etc to fill up the month. The only thing I have set in stone is I am travelling to a city north of Rome to see a concert on July 31st. Interested in rustic to metropolitan settings, various modes of transportation and all types of sites and events. Prefer to stay in the southern Italy/Amalfi Coast area predominantly but am open to additional travel. Any and all suggestions would be very much appreciated (I am in my late 20's and speak decent Italian, if that helps). Thank you.

Blueeyedcod Jun 7th, 2016 10:22 PM

You've left it way too late to book anything much at all on the Amalfi Coast - and you don't give a budget per night in euro.

It's no point a bunch of strangers on a forum recommending anything - 'all types of sites and events' is pretty broad.

RonZ Jun 7th, 2016 10:49 PM

To get comments, you need to come up with a basic itinerary. Search hotels on booking.com, start with ratings 8.0 and above.

jbarbalinardo Jun 14th, 2016 08:14 PM

Blueeyedcod, from what I read on other threads, it seemed as though people were willing to interject thoughtful ideas. I intentionally left it broad so as to encourage posters to not be strapped with trying to fit a specific theme. Other posts seemed to be rather open ended, so I modeled my post after theirs. I am not looking to this forum to completely fill my itinerary, rather to add a few complimentary pieces. If in fact you have some tangible suggestions they would appreciated.

RonZ, any specific hotels you would recommend? Prefer to stay in the $150 range nightly. Thank you.

Sassafrass Jun 14th, 2016 10:13 PM

Did you plan on staying in Naples and using it as a base for day trips, or actually moving around place to place?
Where is your concert on the 31st? What time is your flight on the 1st?

The Naples, AC area will be super hot, but you will probably want to see Pompeii and Herculaneum, ferry down the coast to Positano and Pompeii, see Paestum, perhaps hike on Capri and Path of the Gods, and plan on some swimming.
You might enjoy a cooking class.

Blueeyedcod Jun 14th, 2016 10:41 PM

Sassafrass - some ideas that the OP can actually accomplish would be helpful. There are no ferries to Positano from Naples and Pompeii is inland - you can't take a ferry there.

OP - rather than tread the well worn path full of other tourists, why not visit the Solfatara, the Flavian Amphitheatre, the islands of Ischia and Procida or take the train to the Royal Palace at Caserta. This is in addition to the multitude of sights in Naples itself.

http://www.napoliunplugged.com/

Blueeyedcod Jun 14th, 2016 10:42 PM

OP - what is your budget in euro. $150 means nothing. Many countries use the dollar as currency and you don't identify where you are from so we can't do a conversion.

Sassafrass Jun 14th, 2016 11:39 PM

Blueeyedcoed, you are absolutely correct. I should not be posting so late. I meant the op could see Pompeii and Herculaneum sometime while she/he is in the area, and could, at some point, take a ferry down the coast from Sorrento (which I did not say) to Positano and Amalfi.
So, to the OP, I was just throwing out ideas of places for you to see and accidently implied the ferry.

Blueeyedcod Jun 15th, 2016 01:10 AM

I think the OP is in for a shock if they expect to travel to Italy in July without reservations anywhere.

annhig Jun 15th, 2016 03:18 AM

i would agree that the first thing you need to do is to start looking for accommodation though of course that presupposes that you know where you want to go!

Certainly it makes sense to start in Naples so I would make that my first priority. There is lots to see in and around Naples, so a week there might not be too long, with all the day trips you can make.

Then the end of your trip - how long do you want to spend in Rome? if you are having to go north for a concert on July 31st and flying out on 1st August that complicated matters a bit - what time is your flight? Where exactly is the concert? but again, unless you've been before a week in Rome is not too long.

That leaves you with a couple of weeks or so in between - whilst you might not find anywhere decent to stay within your budget [assuming you're talking U$, $150 is about €134] in the tourist hotspots like Positano, you might be lucky in places like Ischia [though that's very popular with Italians] or Salerno, or even by going somewhere else entirely like Puglia or Le Marche - you have plenty of time after all. You might even hostel-hop, if there is only one of you, and you aren't to worried about where you lay your head.

So as well as prioritising where you are going to stay at the start of your trip, IMO you need to work out the logistics of the end of the trip, and looking at some on-line guides and guide books to see where else you would like to see in between - you have a lot of choice!