Notices

Traveling to Naples

Jan 13th, 2014, 03:18 PM
Original Poster

Traveling to Naples

I'm planning a trip to Italy in a few months...my first international travel.... and would be traveling from Boston to Naples, changing planes in Rome. Can I check my luggage straight through to Naples or do I have to retrieve my bag in Rome and go through customs/passport control first? I've got both answers from people I've asked and don't know which is correct. Any help or tips anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated.
Jan 13th, 2014, 03:24 PM
ekc

Your bags will be checked all the way through to Naples - no need to pick them up in Rome and re-check them.
Jan 13th, 2014, 03:41 PM
Original Poster

That's what I was hoping. Thanks
Jan 13th, 2014, 03:49 PM

If 1) your ticket is one single ticket to Naples (with a change in Rome on the same ticket); and 2) when you check in, you will get a luggage tag to NAP (make sure that both FCO and NAP are written on it) - - then your luggage will go straight to Naples, god willing.

If you bought TWO separate tickets: from home to Rome; then another ticket from Rome to Naples, then it becomes more complicated.

In either case, you still will have to clear "immigration" (show your passport) in Rome. If your luggage goes straight through to Naples, then you go through 'customs' there, which is often just a matter of walking out the door without so much as a nod or a hello, no big deal.

Search this Thread