Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Traveling to London with 4-year old little girl (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/traveling-to-london-with-4-year-old-little-girl-461507/)

echo2004 Jul 21st, 2004 04:30 PM

Traveling to London with 4-year old little girl

Hello. I am visiting London (5 nights) and Brussels (1 night) with my 4-year old daughter.

1) is a child car seat required?
2) where are the recommended places to visit with a child?

thank you for your help.

rj007 Jul 21st, 2004 08:16 PM

I don't know the laws concerning child car seats so I can't help you there. I would suggest a visit to the London Zoo.
Children enjoy zoos. I think your daughter would have a good time there. They have some interesting exhibits and animals.

MonicaRichards Jul 21st, 2004 09:00 PM

The London Eye and the aquarium at its base are also good for a four-year-old. You can also take the bus tour on the double-decker bus that includes a short ferry ride. Car seats are not required in cabs, and I don't know where you would install one even if you wanted to. I'm a safety nut, but if I was going to be using cabs the whole time I don't think I'd bother to bring the carseat.

Calamari Jul 21st, 2004 09:18 PM

I too am a car seat nut. I have been taking my kids to Europe since they were 3 months old. No, you do not need a car seat in a taxi as the prev. poster already stated. You will need one if you rent a car, but they possibly will rent those too.

The Princess Diana Memorial in Hyde Park is fun for kids.

Tulips Jul 21st, 2004 09:47 PM

Second the Aquarium. My kids loved this.
The Science Museum has a hands-on section that small children enjoy too.
The Harrods Toy department on the fourth floor is always a hit.

flanneruk Jul 21st, 2004 11:23 PM

For the law about carseats see www.childcarseats.org.uk

Your question seems to imply you're thinking of driving. If you're unused to driving on the proper side of the road in a real city, don't even think of doing so with a 4 year-old.

Driving in London is not one-millionth as difficut as some of the wussier posters on this site would have you believe. But it requires single-minded concentration on driving. Seasoned London mothers can just about manage this - usually by taking up so much of the road with their 4x4s they squeeze the rest of us off. Practically no-one else can, unless they've doped their child into a stupor.

Anyone inexperienced in driving here, accompanied by an even modestly inquisitive 4yo, is a serious hazard to everyone.

PatrickLondon Jul 22nd, 2004 12:56 AM

Did you mean a car-seat for the flight (as discussed in some other threads)?

If you're thinking about driving, don't. Public transport is more than adequate in both cities, and much less of a headache than driving and parking. Besides, children of your daughter's age seem to enjoy things like sitting in front of the upper deck of a London bus and 'driving'..

There have been other threads about things children enjoy in London - try searching 'kids' and 'London'.

PatrickLondon Jul 22nd, 2004 01:34 AM

something I forgot:

www.kidslovelondon.com

ben_haines_london Jul 22nd, 2004 02:56 AM

I have on disc a note of places that Fodors parents say their children liked, and I can gladly e mail it to you if you ask me. Welcome to London.

[email protected]

KidsToLondon Jul 22nd, 2004 06:57 AM

Hi,

Regarding child car seats, many London taxis have built-in child safety seats. While taxis are an expensive mode of transport, London's taxis are some of the best anywhere.

Like other posters, I would not recommend renting a car and driving in central London, even discounting the child car seat question.

Some suggestions for places to visit with a 4 year old child (sorry for any duplications with other postings):

--The London Transport Museum in Covent Garden appeals to many children...they can climb on buses, trams, and tube cars and the museum often has special activities for children

--The Science Museum's childrens areas are terrific for children, even at age 4. The museum also has "trails" that children can follow through the exhibits.

--Depending upon your daughter's patience, she may enjoy trying a simple brass rubbing at the St. Martin-in-the-Fields church. Brass rubbing can be very elaborate and time-consuming, but at the elementary level, it is a lot like coloring (something any 4 year old loves).

--There is a new Princess Diana memorial fountain which has just opened up, but the memorial that kids really love is the Diana Memorial playground in Kensington Gardens. This is a Peter Pan themed play magnet that attracts children.

--Did anybody mention Hamley's? Sure it is a commercial department store, but what a store! Five (six?) floors of nothing but TOYS. I suspect your daughter would appreciate a visit.

Hope this helps.

David White
[email protected]