Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Traveling to Italy, picking up Airman @ Aviiano AF Base ..suggestions? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/traveling-to-italy-picking-up-airman-aviiano-af-base-suggestions-979799/)

Speer13 May 30th, 2013 05:56 PM

Traveling to Italy, picking up Airman @ Aviiano AF Base ..suggestions?

My daughter is USAF stationed in Aviano. Planning a trip late Sept/Oct 2013 to see her, include her in our travels to Venice before departing out of Rome. Depending on how much leave she'll get, will more than likely have to send her to back to the base during our 2 week stay in Italy. Has anyone done the same, have suggestions on logistics, ideas on 'must see' with a 22 yr old and a couple of 50 year olds? BTW, we are healthy active 50 year olds that are adventuresome, hike, eager to see all that we can without total burn out while visiting Italy. Will be staying in hotels arranged by our travel agent. We want her to have a much fun as we expect to.

Appreciate any suggestions you might have.

kybourbon May 30th, 2013 06:46 PM

Most people on this website arrange their own hotels, etc. Have you looked at flying home from Venice or Milan so you are closer to her base at the end of your trip? Do you plan to stay after she returns to base? What type of things interest you?

I think with 14 days (not including travel days) you have time to stay in 3-4 different towns.

Mimar May 30th, 2013 07:35 PM

It's not uncommon for travel agents to know little or nothing about the hotels they book for their clients. Check out the hotels' reviews on Tripadvisor.com. And check their addresses on Google Maps or other mapping program. You want something central to the sights.

For visiting cities in Italy it's best to take the train. However if you want to hike and see the countryside, driving a rental car is better. Aviano is near the Dolomite Mountains. Lots of hiking there. Here's an article I read recently: http://seattletimes.com/html/travel/...sitalyxml.html

Your daughter will know or be able to find out about how to travel to and from the base.

Speer13 May 30th, 2013 09:50 PM

kybourbon... More than likely, we'll only have our daughter for 4 or 5 days of our 16 days in Italy which is why we thought we'd stay up North and or in the Venice area then head south. Come to think of it, she does have a car which we can use while in Northern Italy I imagine? I'd have to ck with her on that. Not sure if she can take it off base. It might just be better to take the trains and give her a break since this will be her vacation too. Our interests include seeing the back country, hiking, exploring small villages, unique out of the way places initially but are open to suggestions! Hoping to hear from other Military families that have gone to visit their children at Aviano as well...what to do, what not to do. Thank you for your responses! Looking forward to hearing suggestions.

Mimar..... Our agent talked a lot about quaint places she'd stayed that were wonderful...I'll ck them out after we get the list and review on Tripadvisor.com thanks for the suggestion. I'll read the hiking link you provided as well. Thanks so much. At 22, she's likely to know her way to the local pub and back....thus the homework before we arrive with a game plan in hand :-)

Ackislander May 30th, 2013 11:11 PM

I think you may be underestimating your daughter. She is not the little girl who enlisted but a functioning member of a proud service

I know you want to take care of her, and she will no doubt be glad to be spoiled for a while, but especially if she has a car, she may have things she wants to show you! Ask!

janisj May 30th, 2013 11:17 PM

"<i>Not sure if she can take it off base.</i>"

Are you kidding? If she has a car she can take it off base - there'd be no reason to have a car otherwise. Have you actually discussed any of this w/ your daughter.

tarquin May 30th, 2013 11:37 PM

Not far from Pordenone is Aquileia, a tiny town with wonderful mosaics, on the way to Grado on the coast. Udine and Trieste are also very worth visiting as well as Bassano del Grappa and the usual places.

Speer13 May 31st, 2013 07:36 PM

Okay..so was able to talk to daughter today. Janisj... the reason she purchased the car for transportation on the base. She states hardly ever drives off...dunno, will find out more when I'm there! No on the car outside of Aviano. Gas is expensive she says and doesn't want to hassle with driving! You are right Ackislander, she a functioning member of our proud military, but still on the immature side of 22. And she does want to show us what she's see so far of Aviano, out side of there, we are all exploring for the first time. Tarquin.... will look up what you've suggested and I'll email these places to her. She may very well have taken base tours if close by. She's only been there since March....hasn't see much YET. Much to my surprise, she's eager to see an opera with us!

Thanks for all the feedback.....greatly appreciated!

nytraveler Jun 1st, 2013 10:40 AM

Agree that you seem to be treating your daughter as if she were about 14 - not a grown woman. Since she's IN Italy I would work with her on coordinating the trip - what SHE wants to see and do, use of her car, etc. Once she is back on base you can do whatever else you want.

And she probably has much better hotel info than your travel agent.