Traveling to Italy in August

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 07:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be traveling to Italy in early August with my Son's College Basketball team. We will be in Rome, Florence and Como for a total of eight days. What type of clothing should I take? Will I need an adaptor for my hairdryer? Is it better to use cash or credit card? We will be visiting the Vatacan, is there a dress code?
Any other helpful hints would be appreciated!
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 07:58 AM
dln

Is this for real?

Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 08:03 AM

Wear normal clothes. No shorts or sleeveless in the Vatican. You need to get an adaptor. Use ATM machine. They give the best rates.
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 08:04 AM

It will most likely be hot and humid in August, so dress accordingly. Layers are best in the event there is rain. Bring flat shoes that are already broken in, as you will be doing a lot of walking on cobblestones and other hard surfaces. A hat is also a good idea, as is a small travel umbrella which can fit in you bag.

There is a dress code for St. Peters: no shorts or exposed shoulders for women, i.e., no sleeveless dresses or blouses. Skirts above the knee are also questionable but may pass. On men, long shorts (below the knee) are probably OK, but I would tell the boys to wear long pants just to be on the safe side.

Credit cards will be accepted in most places other than small family restaurants. Rather than carrying a lot of cash, it is more convenient to have an ATM card so you can withdraw cash as you need it and you will get the best exchange rate versus exchanging dollars. You will find ATMs virtually everywhere in Italy at this point, even small towns in the Como area. Check with your bank, as your ATM has to be linked to a checking account, and you should check to ask what they will charge for oversees withdrawals; some banks charge up to US$3 per transaction. Traveller's checks are a waste of money, IMO, but if you get them, get them in Euros and not US Dollars so you will get a better exchange rate than the merchant would give you for US Dollar traveller's checks.

Unless your hairdryer is a dual voltage dyer, it will not work in Italy as they are on a different current. Check the package or look at the dryer to see if there is an option to change voltage. If it is a dual voltage dryer, you will need an adaptor. Italy has different plug configurations for differing places, in my experience, so bring a couple of types or buy some when you get to Italy. Your hotel should also be able to provide them. Your hotel may also have dryers in the rooms, you might contact them now or check a website if they have one. Most major chain hotels and many smaller hotels in Italy have room hair dryers.

Be prepared for lots of crowds, as August is the prime vacation month in Europe. Other than that, relax and enjoy.
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 09:18 AM

If you do not already have a good guidebook, get one. If you have one, it should answer many of your questions.

You can also check the Destinations section on Fodors for each city/area you will visit. For Rome:

http://www.fodors.com/miniguides/mgr...ation=rome@130

And on Frommers:
http://www.frommers.com/destinations/italy/
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 10:07 AM

Run to your nearest bookstore and buy Rick Steves' Italy 2003. He'll answer all your questions for those three areas. It will be hot, hot, hot in Rome and Florence, much cooler in Como.