Traveling to Ireland in late March with 2 sets of parents-need help

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5th, 2006, 09:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My fiance and I are traveling to Ireland from March 28 through April 3 with both sets of parents. Our parents are active 80 yr olds, but do not want to rush anything.
This is a special trip for us, as we are getting married on March 25 and are taking our parents to Ireland to celebrate our new marriage.
Our tentative itinerary is as follows:
Night 1-Kilkenny-possibly stay at Fanad House
Night 2-Cork or Cohb or Kinsale. Which is better?
Night 3-Killarny or Dingle. Would like to stay at Emlagh Lodge. Focus on Dingle or Ring of Kerry?
Night 4-Ennis (or somewhere close)
Night 5-??
Night 6-Dublin
We are renting a mini-van and want to reach our B&Bs by 3 or 4 in the afternoon. I have done a lot of reading and my brain in over loaded! The two requests made from my fiance are to stay 1 night in a castle and have a re-creation wedding ceremony. Any suggestions? The Dromoland Castle keeps popping up as the best. Any thoughts on Kinnitty Castle? Also, we'd like to stay at a Farmhouse B&B. Lots of options. Does anyone have a favorite? We all love to explore villages, visit pubs, take in the scenery. None of us are overly interested in very touristy places. I bought the Complete Road Atlas of Ireland, which seems extremely comprehensive.
I appreciate any help!

Thanks-Michelle
Old Mar 5th, 2006, 10:20 AM

YOu are a better person than I am!! I wish I could offer help with places to stay, but will comment on your transport. (devil's in the details!!).
European minivans are quite small. The back row can be really cramped and space for luggage limited. Please be very careful on the type of vehicle rented. The minivans we rent in Europe have been small.

Can anyone on the board suggest a good vehicle?? Or transport option??
Old Mar 5th, 2006, 10:28 AM
Original Poster

Very funny response, as I am finding out I'm not as good of a person as I once thought!!
I need a travel agent!
Old Mar 5th, 2006, 10:31 AM

Go to Trip Advisor and read the reviews of Kinitty Castle and all the other places you planned to stay. Kinitty may not be your cup of tea after you read all the posts.

www.tripadvisor.com
Old Mar 5th, 2006, 10:50 AM

Agree you need to double check on the mini-van. Vehicles in europe can be tiny. And I have seen some mni-vans that 6 people alone would be a squeeze - with no room at all for luggage.

I would check the site of the people you're renting from - or the site of the company manufacturing that vehcile to find out the exact inside dimensions - since in my experience older folks tend to travel with a LOT of stuff.
Old Mar 5th, 2006, 11:57 AM

We rented a minivan in Ireland about 8 years ago - we were a group of 4 traveling with golf clubs. We talked the car rental agency into letting us take out the third row and leaving it there -- there is no way we would have otherwise fit four sets of golf clubs and luggage inside. The second row was a split row of 2 seats - not a 'bench' seat like many in the US.

I would certainly encourage everyone to pack light!
Old Mar 5th, 2006, 12:01 PM

Auto Rentals within Ireland generally refer to mini-vans as 'people movers'. They are available as 5, 7 and 9 passenger, but those designations are suspect. SOME 7 passenger models will adequately handle 6 adults AND luggage, BUT NOT MANY. You NEED a 9 passenger vehicle (VW CARRAVELLE, MERCEDES VITO,or equivilent), because even though the company might list their 7 passenger offering as a Kia Sedona (which WOULD work for you)they DON'T guarrantee that model. Most other "equivilent" 7 passengers, such as the Renault Scenic and the Opel have "JUMP SEATS" that fold up out of the floor of the cargo area and are excedingly DIFFICULT to enter and exit.
You don't mention budget considerations on the Castle stay, so I presume the cost of Dromoland hasn't scared you off. It does get very high marks, so if price isn't a consideration -- go for it.
To spread out your travel and maximize your enjoyment, I vote for spending night #2 in Kinsale. I also vote for Dingle over the ROK -- a shorter tour AND, more "BANG" for the buck, both in things to see and do.
This is a fairly aggressive schedule. It would have been MUCH easier if you had flown into Dublin and out of Shannon. You'll have a good six hour drive (or more) to get back to Dublin from the Ennis area (The good news is that you can break it up with a stop at the Rock of Cashel!)
Think about day #3 in Kenmare, #4 in Dingle and #5 in Ennis ( actually, Dromoland).
Try www.aaroadwatch.ie for route planning, but divide the 'total miles driven' figure by 30 or 35 to get a resonably accurrate estimate of time.

Bob
Old Mar 5th, 2006, 02:39 PM

Congrats on your March marriage. I am a bit amused by the statement "do not want to rush anything" and yet each night is spent in a different place with plenty of driving in between. Are you intent on seeing it all or enjoying the trip?

Do as Itallian_Chauffer suggests and run your trip through a trip planner to see what you are actually proposing. In Ireland you do not "zip" anywhere. Travel is slow.

If I were on a honeymoon (and with 80 year olds along -- no matter their stamina) I would require spending at least two nights in a couple of areas. There may also be jet lag to contend with, depending on where you are coming from. Just my opinion.
Old Mar 5th, 2006, 02:50 PM
CU

For a night at the castle www.adaremanor.com and www.irelands-blue-book.ie
For crack in the pub
www.irishmusicbars.com
For the Shannon region look at www.shannonregiontourism.ie
For a holiday on the farm www.irishfarmholidays.com
and for anything that I may have left out www.ireland.ie
Tip; Be sure and have plenty of room to put the luggage IN the vehicle. Would not like to see any of your family having to sit on the roof !!!!!!
Top travel from Dingle to Ennis could I suggest you look at www.ireland.ie
To fly into Dublin and out of Shannon would spare you a lot of backtracking.

Old Mar 5th, 2006, 07:57 PM

One of the best farmhouses in Ireland is Glasha Farmhouse, www.glashafarmhouse.com. The lovely hostess has won numerous awards -- Landlady of the Year, Les Routiers, AA 5-diamond award to name a few -- and her food is outstanding. It's located in rural County Waterford so it may not be in the right location for you, although you could base here and take day trips to Waterford, Kilkenny, Rock of Cashel, Cahir Castle, Jerpoint Abbey, Kells Abbey and more. Glasha is our favorite place to stay in all Ireland.
Old Mar 5th, 2006, 08:30 PM

aGlad you have the Atlas of Ireland. Its the only way to go. If you have never driven in Ireland you will be amazed at how long it takes to get places!! Don't know if you would have enough time to get to Dingle from Cork or Kinsale - especially if you drive the roads thru the small towns . There is a lot around Killarny and I think the "Seniors" would enjoy it more.
The people of Ireland are so wonderful. Be prepared for rain and cool weather. If you do get to Dingle, you will see more of the real Ireland - sheep and seacoast.
Have fun!!
Old Mar 5th, 2006, 09:38 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
A few general comments:

The distances may seem short but the drive times will be long. Especially in a large 7 or 9 passenger vehicle. On many of those routes you will be LUCKY to average 35 mph.

The poor folks stuck in the back seats will be uncomfortable so you'll have to factor in simple stretch breaks.

This itinerary would be fairly strenuous but certainly doable for 2 20-somethings but for 2 (I'm guessing) middle agers and 4 80 year olds - it is a trek.

Since you say you want to &quot;<i>explore villages, visit pubs, take in the scenery. None of us are overly interested in very touristy places</i> you might want to consider slowing down. Stay 2 or 3 nights in one place. It would be a LOT easier on your parents and give you a chance to experience &quot;Ireland&quot; w/o rushing from one area to another every day.
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 02:58 AM

Tiki11 and Nannybray: Are you talking about the Ordnance Survey Road Atlas or the Atlas of GB and Ireland put out by Michelin? I've considered both and, while I know many suggest waiting to get to Ireland before purchasing this, I think I'd enjoy having it for the planning. Do you have a recommendation for which is best, and can you tell me if yours has place names in Gaelic as well? Thanks!
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 05:24 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your advice. I will reconsider my itinerary. I agree to slow down. I only wish I had made my plane reservations into Shannon instead.
Thank you again!

Michelle
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 05:45 AM

The michelin map is great, I have one myself for my trip in June.

I agree that slowing down is preferable -- remember, each day you change lodgings involves packing, unpacking, checking out, traveling, checking in -- something you can skip when you stay in one place.

Why are you bringing the parents on a honeymoon??

In Kilkenny, we stayed at Knocktopher Abbey, and it was great -- actually about 20 minutes south of Kilkenny.

Old Mar 6th, 2006, 06:26 AM

Check out the Adare Manor.

http://www.adaremanor.com/

I told my mother-in-law that that is where I was marrying my next husband.

And I just wrote about this to someone else. Since your parents are elderly, a temporary handicapped parking pass will make parking near things you want to see much easier. If any of them qualify for one, they are recognized world wide. Traveling like that takes a lot out of anyone, so the less walking they do, the better.
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 03:09 PM
Original Poster

Great advice on obtaining a Handicap license. I believe we do qualify. Yikes!
In response the question of &quot;Why are you bringing your parents on a honeymoon?&quot;...my husband to be and I are fortunate in that we do quite a bit of traveling. We both feel blessed to have two sets of parents healthy enough to travel with us. So, it's not really a honeymoon, but more of a gift to our parents for being really terrific people.
Now, I have to convince my adventure seeking fiance to slow down on this trip!
Thanks All!!
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 03:39 PM
CU

Have you heard of www.world-honeymoons.net
click on western europe - ireland - Irish honeymoon packages.
I would agree with the others here about slowing down. There is so much to see and a lot to be missed for that next trip. Great to see that you are thinking of your parents. Ye are so lucky to have each other. Long may they be with you both.
Enjoy.
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 04:28 PM

The question about going on your honeymoon with your parents was tongue in cheek -- I sort of did the same thing. My husband and I went to Ireland for a week with my parents shortly after we were married, too. Of course, they were only in their late 50s

You will have a wonderful time in Ireland, and you are truly blessed to not only have your parents to travel with, but like them enough to do so!!!
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 10:49 AM
Original Poster

Hello,
This hopefully, will be my last request for assistance!
My adventurer has agreed to slow down! I cannot change the plane tickets to travel onto Shannon without adding on $1200 US dollars.
Here is my new tentative itinerary:

Nights 1-2-Shannon Region. Stay in town or in farmhouse. (same place, 2 nights)
Nights 3-4 Dingle Peninsula. Emlagh Lodge has vacancy for 2 nights.
Night 5-Dromoland Castle for wedding #2.
Night 6 Dublin. According to my dad, who's trying to follow my itinerary on his trusty AAA map, the drive to Dublin from Ennis would only be approximately 3 1/2 hours. Is that true?

We hope to arrive in Dublin on our last day around 2:00pm. I'm open to any suggestions on any favorite places!

I've enjoyed all your advice and suggestions. Thank you!
Michelle

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -