Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Traveling to France with a passport that exp. in a month Is that a problem?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22nd, 2007, 11:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've tried looking on the us.gov website to see what the requirements for France are regarding US Passports. As far as I can tell you only have to have a valid passport. My husband's passport expires in November. Our trip is Sep 30 to Oct 15. I want to make sure it doesn't have to be valid for at least three months.
Can you tell me where to find this info? Am I correct in thinking that the only requirement is that it isn't expired at time of travel?
Thanks
Old Sep 23rd, 2007, 12:58 AM

Google - Passport France. 3 month life beyond end of stay required!
Old Sep 23rd, 2007, 03:00 AM

Opinions on Google seem to vary. travel.state.gove states merely a valid passport, as do one or two other sites.
I would contact the French embassy/consulate nearest you for comfirmation.
Given the time scale involved I think you could have a real problem if three months is required.
Old Sep 23rd, 2007, 03:48 AM

Everything I'm seeing suggests that GSteed is right. And I do believe that this issue has been discussed here before. You might try doing a search on Fodors.

You might ask: What happens if I travel to France without a valid passport? The answer is: they would most likely send you back home.
Old Sep 23rd, 2007, 03:48 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
A US Govt website will not have the info you need - since the US Govt will not be the ones letting you into France.

Who you need to check w/ are 1) the French Embassy/Consulate and 2) your airline since they eare the ones who will look at his passport and let him on the plane or not.

3 months is the rule - whether the airline check in agent sticks to the rule or not is another matter. But I personally would not want to find out on the day of your flight.

We've been seeing reports on here of much faster passport turnaround times in the last month or so. Are you in/near a city w/ a passport office? If so you can probably make an appointment and have it renewed in one day as long as you have your tickets in hand.
Old Sep 23rd, 2007, 03:59 AM

"whether the airline check in agent sticks to the rule or not is another matter".

Not only the airline agent but the French immigration officer in Paris.
Old Sep 23rd, 2007, 04:18 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
That is definitely true - I did say to also check w/ the French Embassy -

Airline personnel will let him on the plane - or not. And French Immigration will let him into the country - or not.
Old Sep 23rd, 2007, 05:33 AM

I agree that the US Dept of State website would not be the place to look up this info. You have two sources; the destination country official passport regs site and/or the airline you are flying. Their agents are on the front line checking the passports info and are the ones who would turn you back if something is ammiss. Call the airline.
Old Sep 23rd, 2007, 05:49 AM

We had a long thread on this in late July. Although you are supposed to have 90 days left to enter France, others reported little difficulty there. The airline, however, IS your problem. They are the ones who decide whether or not you get on the plane. They don't want the burden of flying you back should French customs turn you away upon landing.

For a good example:

http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=60451
Old Sep 23rd, 2007, 05:56 AM

I'm trying to make sense out of all these posts. Yes, it is clear that the passport is supposed to be good for three months beyond your return date. Period.

What is the point of calling various agencies and speaking to a variety of people? Unless you can convince one of the people you talk to that he must meet you at immigration and be sure to follow through on whatever he says, surely everyone knows that what someone in an office says and what someone running the desk at immigration decides to do, may be two entirely different things.

The only logical answer is to do what the PRINTED regulations say.

This is starting to sound like those threads "I know they SAY an IDP is required by law in Italy, but we've been there several times and no one asked us for one, so I'd say you can just forget it".
Old Sep 23rd, 2007, 05:59 AM

it is definitely a problem. My friend had this happen in Italy and we spent a full day at the Embassy getting it sorted out.
Old Sep 23rd, 2007, 08:38 AM

Lauricelli--Go to the travel.state.gov/passport website NOW and complete the renewal form. Your husband will have to take his expiring passport, his id and check for $127 (for expedited service) to the post office passport window tomorrow.

I sent mine Sept 12 and received it back the 20th. I also sent it certified. (Mine would have expired in Dec.) You may get your husband's back just in the nic of time.

Best of luck to you.
Judy
Old Sep 23rd, 2007, 09:33 AM
ira

Hi L,

He will have about 60 days on his passport from the day of arrival.

I agree, get a new PP.

Go to http://travel.state.gov/passport/passport_1738.html
for how to get a new one in person.

You might also find a passport expediter who will stand on line for you.

Old Sep 23rd, 2007, 09:38 AM

Generally it's recommended to renew 9 months before expiry (gov recommendations see question 7 on link below) as some countries require at least 6months validity.

http://travel.state.gov/passport/fri/faq/faq_1741.html

Renew asap
Old Sep 23rd, 2007, 04:39 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the links. My hubby is not happy with me since I was supposed to check on this last week. Good thing we live in a city where we can go in person. Of course, this trip was not my idea and my passport is good for nine more years.

I wonder if anyone here has actually been denied because of this issue. Has anyone or does anyone know of someone not allowed to board or come into a country?
Old Sep 23rd, 2007, 05:05 PM

Why would you want to chance being denied when as you say you can just go in person to get the passport renewed? It seems like a lot of needless added stress.

Old Sep 23rd, 2007, 06:27 PM

Lauricelli,

I'm sorry you are in this predicament, but it's starting to sound like you want someone here to say to you " you have nothing to worry about, go ahead". And then , what if whomever happens to be at the airline counter , or in the immigration booth in France wants to make your life difficult??

It's academic what anybody's experience has been until it becomes your experience.

Pls. , do yourself a favor and help your hubby get a new passport. You have a week to do it.

Old Sep 23rd, 2007, 08:35 PM

France normally is not one of those countries ( like China) that will give you grief if you have less than 6 months left on your passport before your return. The basic reasoning for that was that people would not have to stay in the country visited if they could not get back to their home country. Obviously , that is not the case with a US citizen. That being said,however, why borrow trouble.. go get a new passport if you can get if expiteded in time. What others have said is true, it is the airline in the US on your departure that makes the decision. They can be fined for letting someone go without the correct documentation. It will cost a bundle to get it renewed at this point in time, but certainly less than losing your trip! You need a Passport Serivce now. Even expediting your passport at the post office won't work now.
Old Sep 23rd, 2007, 10:10 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Ira, Judy and highflyer and to those others with useful responses. I am grateful for the links regarding the information I was seeking. Next time I will be more careful in the wording of my question header.

My wondering if anyone has been denied getting on the plane or into the country is just that. It's not wishful thinking. I've seen lots of posts regarding passport renewal but don't recall any posts about getting turned away.

"Good thing we live in a city where we can go in person"
Old Sep 23rd, 2007, 10:21 PM
Original Poster

GSteed, thanks for helping me find this
http://www.info-france-usa.org/visit...ce/usvisas.asp
Embassy of France in the US - Visas for U.S. Citizens

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -