Traveling to Europe this weekend - Heads Up

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12th, 2003, 03:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

<BR>Just an FYI - <BR>Peace Marches are planned for large European cities on Saturday , Feb. 15 (and thruout the world).<BR><BR>This morning in our normally docile Zurich newspaper was a graphic, full page ad for the Swiss demonstration. I asked my reserved German teacher about it; she excitedly said that she was going, and that it would be large.<BR><BR>I don't think there is a problem with violence, it could just hamper travels in or thru these cities.<BR><BR>I had seen a thread concerning the London &amp; Paris marches. Think there were some useful links - but could not find it.
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 08:42 AM
Sylvia

Information about the London march is at http://www.stopwar.org.uk<BR><BR>It starts on Saturday at 12.30pm and the rally is due to end at 5.30pm<BR><BR>Numbers of up to 1 million are expected, so public transport will be pretty crowded.

Old Feb 12th, 2003, 09:09 AM

And re marches in other cities worldwide: http://www.worldmessenger.20m.com/march.html<BR>
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 09:17 AM

Lesli, thank you for the link. There will be peace marches in cities across the US too.
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 10:14 AM

Lots of military personnel are flying to the Gulf area this weekend so the coalition can get the ball rolling and liberate the Iraqi people. At the same time, the pampered Swiss can sit around and eat their kaffee und kuchen since they don't have an &quot;army&quot; in the military sense of the word. Queenie, maybe your teacher will march with all the Zuerich heroin addicts. Sounds like her kind of place.
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 11:24 AM
jor

Don't cave into the dumesday sayers and you will be fine. This is all about people who want war with Iraq and will stop at nothing to scare you.
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 11:29 AM
NYGirl

<BR>sorry jor, have to say this<BR><BR> Doomsday :0)

Old Feb 12th, 2003, 11:34 AM

I don't think anyone &quot;wants&quot; war with Iraq. But Iraq has done nothing to comply with the UN mandates. Do you feel comfortable knowing that Saddam Hussein has biological weapons that he could use or sell to Al Qaeda? I know that I would sleep a little easier at night if Iraq would disarm itself; but if not, then the US and its allies will have to do it for them.
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 11:43 AM

Some of the &quot;peace activists&quot; are simply well-intentioned but very naive folks, but many others are hard-core hate-America-firsters. They have a right to demonstrate -- except, of course, in Iraq, where they would be killed for doing so.<BR><BR>Their thoughts are duly noted. Now the US will get back to business and do what it must to protect its citizens. The tyranny of SH will end shortly (but not sweetly, at least for him) and the people of Iraq will be grateful. As will I.
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 12:26 PM

Looks like Joey has bought the government story hook, line and sinker. Unfortunately for the people of Iraq, we are not the liberators, we are the terrorists who will be dropping bombs.
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 04:46 AM

JoeyJoJoJr_Shabadoo, I wish you would have seen the same TV-documentary I saw last night. It was a British one, and had intervues of numerous Iraqi people. Both in the streets of Baghdad, and refugees who live in London. No, they would not be grateful, none of them. It would be just like opaldog said. And it also would turn the whole muslim world against west, and fuel the terrorists. There would be many more 9/11´s.
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 06:20 AM

Elina, the terrorists don't need &quot;fuel&quot;. They want all of the &quot;infidels&quot; dead period and will work to this end no matter what. And, of course, I'm sure those Iraqi people who were interviewed spoke without fear of reprisal from their government since freedom of speech is guaranteed in Iraq!! Get real!<BR><BR>No one wants to kill innocents, but we don't want our people to be killed either. And believe me, if we don't get them, THEY WILL GET US!