Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Traveling to Europe on Delta? Check Your Flight! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/traveling-to-europe-on-delta-check-your-flight-302196/)

Debra Mar 30th, 2003 04:46 PM

Traveling to Europe on Delta? Check Your Flight!

I reserved my open-jaw flight from JFK to Venice and from Milan to JFK, departing in mid-May. I just checked Delta's website, and they've canceled the return flight, without notifying me. I've now managed to book with Alitalia for the same day, but I'm steamed at Delta for not letting me know. I only checked the website b/c another Fodorite said Delta had canceled her flight to Athens, also without notice to her. At least when I've flown Air France, they've called to tell me of schedule changes! Grrrrr.

HappyCheesehead Mar 30th, 2003 08:11 PM

Delta's not the only culprit, Debra. Last night I went online to check our Northwest Airlines open jaw (Madison WI > Vienna, Prague > Madison) and was shocked to see that I had no out bound at all. Gone. I had had no communication fron NWA at all. I immediately called NWA and was told the only flights I could get on were 3 days earlier or 2 days later than my originally scheduled flight. While on the phone listening to why they could not get me to Europe as planned, I went to the NWA website and discovered there were still seats being sold for our departure date, space was still available - why do you suppose they had not rescheduled us on one of those other flights?? Because we are flying on a free FF tickets, that is why. NWA had the seats open, they just wouldn't allow us to sit in them. It did not matter that I had made these reservations last MAY. This is how they treat their loyal customers. (hubby is now gold elite , was platinum elite til last month and always chooses to fly NWA, even if it is a bit more)It took 45 minutes of rising BP and tempers to get NWA to reschedule us on one of those flights.

Debra Mar 31st, 2003 05:14 AM

Wow, HappyCheesehead (love that name!), I don't know what I'd have done if no flights were available until days before or after my original departure date. Like you, I scheduled my flights last year because my work requires advance notice of vacation time. <BR><BR>Although my flight wasn't free, I did upgrade to Business Elite using FF miles, which I've now lost because it's not available on the Alitalia flight (sniff). It was the first (and probably only) time I was able to redeem FF miles. As you say, this is a terrible way to treat loyal customers!

jimhoelzel Mar 31st, 2003 07:23 AM

We are scheduled on British Air this Thursday to London with reservations made in January. The flight was canclelled and we were rebooked on an earlier flight.<BR>Only no one called or emailed to tell us until we called. We also did not have seat assignments---now we are sitting apart because the earlier flight is full. Great customer Service!!!!!!

jimhoelzel Mar 31st, 2003 02:22 PM

We are scheduled on British Air this Thursday to London with reservations made in January. The flight was canclelled and we were rebooked on an earlier flight.<BR>Only no one called or emailed to tell us until we called. We also did not have seat assignments---now we are sitting apart because the earlier flight is full. Great customer Service!!!!!!

Lori Mar 31st, 2003 02:37 PM

BA from where?

Christina Mar 31st, 2003 02:54 PM

I'm not flying until late June, but just checked my flight on AA and it was cancelled also. They didn't notify me at all, even though it was an eticket so they have my email. That may be my fault, I'm not sure if I was supposed to ask them to notify me or not, I knew I'd be checking given the current air problems. <BR><BR>Anyway, they only cancelled my flight from BWI to JFK, but that made them reroute me through Boston to Paris instead of JFK, which I don't like (and very different flight times and wasted time). The agent said I could get a refund, which surprised me, as I thought legally a flight the same day fulfills their obligation. I have to look around to decide what I want to do or if I accept their changes.

HappyCheesehead Apr 2nd, 2003 07:37 PM

Debra: Isn't it frustrating to have all the carefully laid out plans just tossed out the window? I have to admit at this point I am just glad I have a seat, but I think the airlines do not appear to be handling these massive changes too well. I mentioned my situation to a co worker flying Chicago &gt; London next Tuesday on BA. Lo and behold - her flight is gone too. They did get her on another. I am seeing quite a few posts regarding the rotten treatment passengers are getting. Hubby is worried - what if they cancel our return while we are incommunicado in Europe. (not that NWA tried to call us anyway) I didn't have the heart to tell him I was praying for that to happen!! - Oops - sorry boss- I have to spend a few more days here in Prague since the airline can't get me home, LOL!

NJJ Apr 13th, 2003 05:54 PM

The airlines are hurting and they are passing their frustration to their loyal customers. I hope the summer schedule is better than the spring is shaping up to be!

ira Apr 13th, 2003 06:15 PM

Hi Guys,<BR><BR> I think we should all forget the idea of customer service and/or customer loyalty. These guys do not care about us.<BR><BR> As my TA wrote,<BR>&quot;Please note that it is the passengers responsibility to be aware of possible schedule changes or cancellations&quot;. <BR>