Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Traveling to Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/traveling-to-europe-631293/)

Ziggy725 Jul 16th, 2006 09:23 AM

Traveling to Europe

Traveling to Paris, London and Edinburgh at the end of July.
First time traveler.
1. do I need a converter for my hair dryer, etc. I am staying at Hotels.
2. What is used more in Paris, London and Edinburgh for currency ? Euros, Pounds, etc?
3. where's the best place to make exchange of currency from US Dollar to foreign currency? Thanks!!

suze Jul 16th, 2006 09:27 AM

GBP (pounds) in London
Euro in Paris

It depends on the cost your home bank charges to use an ATM overseas. You'd have to check that. Usually this is the best way to withdraw local currency (do not "exchange" at all).

janisj Jul 16th, 2006 10:00 AM

I will be gentle here -- you are leaving in a <b>week</b> and are just NOW wondering what currency is used where??

You have a lot of studying up ahead of you . . .

the &euro; is used in Paris, the &pound; is used in London and Edinburgh. And you don't exchange money anywhere. You leave it at home in your checking account. Then use ATMs to get cash as you need it. (&euro; will come out of the Paris ATMs, and &pound; will come out of the UK ATMs)

Most hotels provide hair dryers . . . Don't take your own unless it is dual voltage - and then you'll still need two different plug adaptors since French and UK wall plugs are different.

(I am hoping this is a Troll - first post and all that. If you aren't a troll - my appologies)

ira Jul 16th, 2006 10:04 AM

Hi Z,

If you don't have a dual voltage hair dryer, you should get one.

Your other equipment should say &quot;110 -220V&quot;.

All of Europe is on 220V power. The US is on 110V. US devices will burn out in Europe.

You will need a plug adapter for the UK and a different one for Paris.

((I))

susanteach Jul 16th, 2006 10:41 AM

1. Depending on your hotel class, you may not need to bring a hairdryer from home. Check the ammenities provided by your hotels. If they do not mention hairdryers, then you should probably go to your local travel/luggage store and get a converter. You can also buy them easily online.
2. You will need Pounds in England, Euros for France. Take a Visa credit card, an ATM card and about $50 worth of Euro/$50 of Pounds. You may need some quick cash at the airport upon arrival. Invest in a nice travel pouch (not a fanny pack) which can fit under your clothing. Do not carry a purse. Make sure you have your PINs for the cards and a copy of your passport to be held in another piece of your luggage.
3) Don't exchange or use travellers' checks-ATMs are everywhere. When shopping or eating out, use cash or your credit card.

hhildebrandt Jul 16th, 2006 10:52 AM

do I need a converter for my hair dryer, etc? I am staying at Hotels.

Ziggy, you donīt have to take your hair dryer, transformer and plug adapter with you, if either your hotel provides a hair dryer or you just buy one in Europe. They even have malls, department stores and supermarkets there, prizes start at 10,00 EUR to 15,00 EUR. For Paris, BHV has been named in this forum for its choice of technical gadgets and gizmos.

Ziggy725 Jul 16th, 2006 11:07 AM

Thanks All. This trip came up quickly and I've been getting mixed answers from friends or their freinds who have traveled to Paris, London and Edinburgh!

peppermintpatti Jul 16th, 2006 03:26 PM

Hi Ziggy, I never have much luck with the hotel blowdryers in Europe. They are either too weak--(my hair takes a long time to dry), or overheat after awhile. I have had better luck with a very small travel blowdryer that I bought at a beauty supply store. I have to use it on the low setting, otherwise it overheats, but it's still faster than the dryers I have used in Europe. On the money issue, I agree with the other posters, and add my positive experience using ATMs and credit cards. I always take a couple of each, and here's a silly thing I never thought of before I encountered it. If you know your password in letters, rememorize it in numbers, because the ATMs there don't have letters. Have a wonderful trip! pp