I'm planning a trip to the Baltics in the May/June timeframe and will be traveling solo (I'm a woman in my early 50's). Although I've traveled extensively, this is my first trip to eastern Europe (with the exception of the USSR).
My plans are to visit Vilnius, Riga, Tallinn and Tartu, spending 2-4 days in each city. I'd love to get suggestions for hotels in these cities....I prefer to stay in the Old Town sections and definitely not in the business type hotels.
Any must sees/avoid at all costs?
Any suggestions for traveling alone there?
I'm thinking I'd like to take a city-tour in each place plus have picked up the Cooks Travellers guides for each country, which have good walking tours outlined. Any recommendations on city tour companies or guides?
Also, I'd love to get recommendations for the best way to travel between the cities. I'd prefer not to drive....am I better off to fly or take a train?
I'll be visiting friends in Tartu (but will stay in a hotel)....they have recommended that I also plan a couple of days in Helsinki. Is it worth it?
I'm just at the beginning stages of planning the physical aspects of the trip so would appreciate all the input you can provide.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 CANON PRINTER 1~800~681:7208 installations Contact CANON Tec*h care
- 2 Christmas in Granada....food!
- 3 Milan airport--which one
- 4 Which Area in London?
- 5 Best area to stay in Amsterdam for a first time visitor
- 6 Paris Apartment
- 7 Overwhelmed with planning! Need help from Italy experts.
- 8 Where to Visit in Normandy & Brittany
- 9 St, Goar or Bacharach
- 10 Lisbon stay - Olissippo Lapa Palace vs NH Collection Lisboa Liberdade
- 11 FuLu Mandarijn Amsterdam
- 12 Barcelona to Malaga
- 13 Mid-May stay in Lauterbrunnen or Murren
- 14 Visit to France
- 15 First time in Spain
- 16 Can only visit one (maybe two) cities. Which one?
- 17 Lorie Valley and Beyond
- 18 Trains - website?
- 19 London 'Tube-less', Fine dining, Fun excursions plus a GTG
- 20 GTG Paris December 2017
- 21 Italy 9 Days in December/Itinerary Help
- 22 Ireland, public trans and my bicycle.
- 23 Need help with ideas for stopover location
- 24 Three nights in the Italian Riviera: hiking in Camogli with day trips
- 25 How to go up Schafberg Mountain when railway is closed