Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Traveling in Tuscany; return car in Chiusi or Orvieto?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4th, 2010, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am traveling in Italy with two friends in October. We are renting a car as we leave Florence to travel in Tuscany for a week. We will be staying at agriturismos, Poggio Ascuitto in Greve in Chianti for three nights, and at La Bruciata outside of Montepulciano for three nights before returning to Rome. We have not figured out details yet about what we'll see in these areas, but will be looking into that shortly. Any advice would be appreciated. We do not want to drive into Rome, so would prefer dropping off the car in Chiusi or Orvieto, then taking the train into Rome. Which location would be better in terms of ambience, a spot where we could wander around for a few hours and eat before boarding the train? if we use Hertz, the return in Orvieto is at the train station and it may be some distance away in Chiusi, if I am looking at details correctly. Any thoughts?
Old Aug 4th, 2010, 10:54 AM

I would pick Orvieto--much better place to see the town.
You really have a choices, depending on the rental clock.
The car drop is in Orvieto Scalo---the lower town near the stazione. If time permits, I like ot drive into town and park near the Duomo---you must enter town from the west side of the Tufa bluff. Then see this lovely town before driving back to the car drop office---be sure of the hours. That way you can avoid using lockers at the station, and drive directly to the main attarction in town---there is parking near the Duomo-- both behind and to the right.
Old Aug 5th, 2010, 05:13 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, this is very helpful advice! I'll make arrangements to return the car in Orvieto.
Old Aug 5th, 2010, 05:19 AM
DRJ

I believe that I have given this advice several times, but, here it is.

I have taken the train from Rome to Orvieto a half dozen times. Its a (usually) nonstop and an hour ride.

The Hertz office is a half block from the station. And my favorite restaurant in all of Italy is I Sette Consoli in Orvieto Alto. The funicular to Alto is across the street from the ststion.
Old Aug 5th, 2010, 08:24 PM
Original Poster

Thanks DRJ, will make note of this restaurant! Have finalized car return in Orvieto, and with such a recommendation, will be sure to have lunch there.
Old Jan 23rd, 2011, 04:31 PM

Hi Italynovice,
I'm considering staying at Agriturismo La Bruciata this coming September 2011. I found La Bruciata while searching on Trip Advisor and the reviews seemed great. Looks pretty nice and the proprietor Laura seems friendly and everyone raves about their homemade foods. I would really appreciate your feed back on your stay. Did you like the apartments and the grounds? I'll be going with my Wife and four year old son, my Mother and my Aunt & Uncle. I would like to rent a 2 bed/bath and a 1 bed/bath for my Aunt & Uncle.
Thank you so much,

John K.
Old Mar 17th, 2011, 11:33 AM
Original Poster

Sorry, did not think to look back at this post. You have probably made your decision by now! La Bruciata was lovely! The grounds were amazing, just beautiful. Laura and Mama were the most gracious hosts. The breakfast spread was a great way to start the day, with different dishes each day. We ate dinner two of the days, which were also very good. The accomodations were very nice. We stayed in a 2 bedroom/bath. The cooking utensils were a little lacking, but we had a nice italian coffee pot and enough pots and pans to cook a nice pasta dinner with salad. The place had a cozy feel to it. Slightly dark on first impression walking in, but each bedroom has amazing french doors that can be opened up to enjoy the view. The furniture and linens were very nice; Laura takes alot of pride in her place, with lots of personal touches. We stayed at 2 agriturismos in Tuscany, Poggio Ascuitto in Greve in Chianti, and La Bruciata. There was more interaction at Poggio Ascuitto, in terms of the owners eating dinner when we did, and hanging out some over breakfast, where we had many conversations regarding life in Tuscany. Laura and her mom were extremely friendly, but with slightly less interaction. However, when I asked Laura for some suggestions on touring the area, she pulled out a map and gave wonderful suggestions. We did a day driving tour based on her suggestions and saw alot of amazing things off the beaten path, in addition to Montalcino and Montepulciano. One of the best meals of our trip was in Monticchiello, about a 10 minute drive from La Bruciata, called Osteria La Porta. Laura called and made the reservation for us. If you stay in that area, I highly recommend it! Please let me know what you decided on. My friends and I had intended on taking a trip to France this coming September, but recently decided that we had not had enough of Italy, so will return to explore some different areas. We will definitely rent a car in Tuscany again, as it was the highlight of our trip!