Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Traveling in Switzerland without Hotel Reserations

Jun 25th, 2014, 09:54 AM
Original Poster

My Wife and I are planning a 15 day trip thru Switzerland in September 2015 using the Swiss Pass. For more flexible travel I would like to take a chance on finding suitable hotel (***) rooms or B&Bs after arriving in Appenzell, Pontresina, Zermatt, Lausanne or Montraux, and Luzern. Since we want to spend five nights in Wengen, we will go ahead and make reservations there. Would you consider the "flexible plan" too risky or will there be adequate opportunities for rooms in those cities? Are there city visitor centers at the train stations that can help with finding rooms?

Thanks
Jun 25th, 2014, 09:58 AM

Lausanne is a major city so I doubt you wouldn;t find something; Zermatt not as big but the ski season won't have started but places in ski villages are known to close for parts of the year.

Appenzell is small but there's always nearby St. Gallen.

How much of your "we're here now" TIME do you plan on spending looking for places to stay? Is there an upper limit?
Jun 25th, 2014, 10:06 AM

It depends on how flexible your are in price (Switz is very expensive), amenities - and vacation time spent looking for a place.

At a minimum I would go with a list of properties that you have checked out and meet your needs and price and call a day or 2 ahead.
Jun 25th, 2014, 10:25 AM

I agree with nyt. I'd at least investigate your top 3-4 picks ahead of time so you can work down the list when you get into each town. Bet you'll always find an acceptable lodging, though you may have to be a little flexible in price, location or amenities.
Jun 25th, 2014, 10:38 AM

Calling a day or tow ahead is NOT in any way "taking a chance" on finding something once you get there. Calling ahead means you are actually PLANNING as most of us do.
Jun 25th, 2014, 11:57 AM

I have traveled in Switzerland in September often and found you can easily book hotels as you go along - especially so in the Interlaken/Grindelwald area and the Swiss in their great rumored hospitality where they wrote the book on it have Hotel Boards in just about every train station I have been in - they will have all the town's hotels and hostels on them with a red and green light to indicate availability - prices, a star rating systems are all indicated and there is a free phone with which to call the hotel directly.

These boards at that time may have a lot of red lights but that is more due to hotels closing for their own vacations in this slack shoulder season.

Only a town where there may be a convention or in Interlaken area the Sept 13, 2014 (check dates) Jungfrau Marathon that attracts zillions and books nearly everything up - so with a few exceptions for special events.
Jun 26th, 2014, 06:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all, your inputs will help in the decision making process. As for the price flexibility question, I am sure if we are exhausted at the end of a long day my price range will become very flexible! Thanks again