Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Traveling in Milan for 2 days and 17 years old

Apr 9th, 2013, 08:25 PM
Original Poster

Hi, I will be 17 and have my NJ Probationary driver license during my 2 day trip by myself in Milan. I will be getting from Rome to Milan via train but I don't know what to us for transportation while there. I wanted to rent a scooter/moped (I drive one currently in US) but don't know if they will allow a 17 year old to either drive or rent a 50cc scooter. I want to have freedom to get to the San Siro and other sites. I want to avoid public transit. Thanks for the help and all information would be helpful.
Apr 9th, 2013, 08:58 PM

I would imagine you would need an IDP to rent and a credit card. Not sure why you would want to avoid public transit. Milan has a nice metro system and most things are easy to reach.

http://www.atm-mi.it/it/ViaggiaConNo...TM_feb2013.pdf
Apr 9th, 2013, 11:19 PM

From January 2013 at least a simplified driving license is needed to drive scooters in Italy. The simplified license can be had at 14 years, the but frankly guessing if a US probationary licence will be accepted as a substitution is difficult.
Apr 10th, 2013, 03:18 AM

Since Italy requires an IDP (international driver's permit)to rent cars, I would imagine Italian law requires it for other rentals requiring a license. The rental company may not ask for it, but if you got stopped or had an accident, the police would ask for it. AAA issues IDP's, but I don't know if they would issue one for a probationary license.
Apr 10th, 2013, 03:48 PM
Original Poster

Have to be 18 to get an IDP sadly. Probably would rent a bicycle or something. Might use mass transit if unable. Do most scooter rental place speak english?