Traveling in Italy with diabetic supplies

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13th, 2007, 05:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is lots of info out there about getting through TSA checks,etc., but what about disposal of needles while there??
Old Jan 13th, 2007, 06:51 AM

I stick mine inside a plastic soft drink or water bottle and throw the whole thing away. That way people are protected and they can see that there are needles inside. Not many choices.
Old Jan 13th, 2007, 02:54 PM

Hi beachgirl, I have a family member that has to take insulin. He has some sort of a plastic container where he deposits his used needles I believe. I will probably be talking to him this weekend and if I do I will ask him. He travels for work and for pleasure and I know he has everything all worked out (except for the time he forgot his insulin..a long scary story). I will post back when I get the information from him.
Old Jan 13th, 2007, 03:11 PM

I was at the ER with my son (him and that stupid skateboard!) and a man walked in and picked up a 'sharps' container. I believe he said his doctor had called, and that he was from out of town, or going out of town. Either way, they gave him a small red sharps container and he was on his way.

Perhaps you can check with your doctor about the availability of something like this.

My ex-MIL used to use (I'm sure she still does) a coffe can, with a hole cut into the top of the lid.
Old Jan 13th, 2007, 03:29 PM

Hello beachgirl, I just spoke to my stepson.

Here is what he does and it works perfect for his domestic and international trips.

When on a trip when getting ready to fly home he puts all of his used needles into a plastic bag, about 4 double layers. As you no doubt know you need a letter from your doctor to bring your supplies aboard. He puts another copy of the letter inside
Old Jan 13th, 2007, 03:38 PM

Well I don't know why that part of my post posted, lol.

Anyway, where was I? OK,

Lets start over. When departing on his trip he has the letter from his doctor, most important.

When flying home he puts all of his used needles into a plastic bag, actually about 4 plastic bag layers.

This bag goes into his checkin luggage. He also puts a copy of his doctor's letter into the checkin luggage and writes on the bottom of the letter "Warning, used insulin needles".

When he gets home he puts those needles into the plastic bucket that he has and then delivers them to whereever he takes them in his city to dispose of them.

He said that he has never had a problem be it domestic or an international flight.

I hope this helps you. I suppose you could do as 2Italy does and put the needles inside of a plastic bottle and put that into your checkin luggage (plastic bottle sounds like a good idea to me) when returning home along with the copy of your doctors letter.

My stepson said he never leaves his used needles at a hotel, or staying with family (regardless of what they are put in) because he wants to make sure they are disposed of properly.

I hope this helps you. Best regards.
Old Jan 13th, 2007, 03:53 PM

i use a BD clipper. it is about the size of a cigarette lighter. you insert the needle and clip. the needle stays inside the unit (it is disposable when full - lasts a very long time). you discard the rest of the syringe or insulin pen needle...perfectly safe with the needle clipped off.

this is much better than carrying your used gear home and better than discarding at your destination - this is not very responsible. if placed in a vessel for disposal, this can break ...especially if put in a compactor and stick someone.

i travel all over the world for work and never had a problem with this system.

it's free on the NHS here in the UK but quick search shows what it looks like...

http://www.amazon.com/Bd-Safe-Clip-N.../dp/B000BI3Y4K