Traveling in Italy since 9/11

Oct 27th, 2001, 07:01 PM
Ang

Traveling in Italy since 9/11

Has anyone who has been to Italy since the tragedy seen any differences in the way Americans are treated? I am hoping to go to Italy in Feb. and a person that I think is misinformed is telling me that Italians don't want to be anywhere near Americans, that they are afraid to rent rooms to them, etc. Please give me insight.

Oct 27th, 2001, 07:14 PM
Cheryl Z.

Ang, don't be afraid. I've two sets of friends just home from recent trips to Italy. One couple trained/biked with 2 other couples and mainly did the Lakes, CT, Portofino. They were there a short l0 days, about mid Sept., enjoyed it, had no problems, said the locals were wonderful to them, very supportive, helpful. Their only problem was a one-day train strike.
The other couple, honeymooning, also did the Lakes, CT, spent about 2-3 weeks there the end of Sept. into Oct. Same comments; loved it, no problems, locals supportive and friendly. Go for it!!

Oct 27th, 2001, 07:29 PM
Marcia

My son & daughter-in-law just returned from Italy this past Sunday. They said they had a wonderful time & the people were great. They went to Rome, Florence & Venice. Once you get on that plane you will feel totally different...you will feel the excitement of traveling to another country & you will not be concentrating on the depressing news. Go & enjoy yourself & have a wonderful trip!

Oct 27th, 2001, 08:02 PM
Vita

Ang, I just did a solo trip to Rome, Siena, and Florence (Oct 4-19). I was apprehensive like you, but I'm SO glad I went. I had the best time. All the Italians that I met were wonderful, and from what I understand, Italian entrepreneurs have been hurt by the lack of American tourists. No one expressed reluctance about renting a room to me. You will notice a list of countries on this page. If you click on 'Italy' and press find, you will find a lot of trip reports from people that have travelled recently to Italy. No one has seemed to regret it. Go and have a great time!

Oct 28th, 2001, 03:59 AM
Julie

If anything people are more kindly than ever. They express sorrow at the tragedy. They also express sorrow at the decline in number of US visitors that are so important to their tourist economy. They'd love to have your business and they'll treat you right. Be kind in return. They're great people, except for their occasional elbows and "scuzzi's" in crowds.