Traveling in Ireland

Old Aug 11th, 2000, 04:40 AM
Jason

Traveling in Ireland

My wife and I are traveling this fall in Ireland. We land in Dublin on Friday morning and we are renting a car to drive to Portrush / Bushmills for a wedding and reception Saturday at noon. Does anyone have suggestions on what roads to take so we can arrive Friday night? We would love to see some sites on the way. Also are there any suggestions for what B & B's are in the area, and what we should do for our remaining 5 days. We will have a car and an open mind the entire trip. Thanks in advance. - Jason

Old Aug 11th, 2000, 07:45 AM
Ed

You could drive <BR> <BR>Dublin-&gt;Drogheda-&gt;Dundalk-&gt;Armagh <BR>-&gt;Dungannon-&gt;cookstown-&gt;Ballymena <BR>-&gt;Portrush <BR> <BR>Ive tried to choose a route which keeps you on reasonably good roads. <BR> <BR>Derry and Donegal are both well worth a visit. Check out <BR> <BR>http://www.goireland.com <BR> <BR>For more info on activies in Ireland

Old Aug 11th, 2000, 04:20 PM
Lisa

Jason, <BR>You should note that Ed doesn't use his email address when recommending goireland site. I have had bad experiences with this web site and some of its recommendations so I would advise avoid it. I have tried www.ireland.travel.ie which is very good. <BR> <BR>Lisa

Old Aug 12th, 2000, 07:45 AM
Cathy

Jason, <BR>Check out the web site for the Northern Ireland tourist board at www.ni-tourism.com for suggestions on B&Bs etc. <BR>have a good time <BR> <BR>Cathy

Old Aug 13th, 2000, 02:57 PM
wjw

try <BR>www.michelin-travel.com/eng/sommaire.cgi <BR>for good free advice on route planning in ireland and rest of europe , good printable route maps prepared and free online access to respected "red" guides -hotels / rest. etc. <BR> <BR>

Old Sep 17th, 2000, 03:30 PM
Darren in Belfast

Jason, <BR> <BR>The route to take is the N1/A1/M1 from Dublin to Belfast, then take the Antrim Coast Road (can't remember the number - A2?) from Belfast around to Portrush. <BR> <BR>Dublin - Belfast will take about 2.5 hours. If you have the time to spare you could take the coast road out of Newry through Warrenpoint, Kilkeel and Newcastle, and then up to Belfast that way. That would probably add an extra hour to your journey (if you didn't stop along the way). <BR> <BR>As for suggestions of what to do for the other 5 days, well that would take me all night <BR> <BR>You could try buying a book called "Silver Linings" by Martin Fletcher from amazon.co.uk - that should give you a taste of Northern Ireland. And once you get there your hosts will have numerous ideas.

Old Sep 22nd, 2000, 06:57 AM
Ray

It's a long drive--you'll be wiped out by the time you get up there Friday night. <BR> <BR>Don't miss a tour of the brewery while you're in the area. Also, head for the Inishowen Penisula in Donegal. Possibly the most beautiful place on the planet. Derry is a fascinating city--do the wall walk. Have a great time, and enjoy all of the Bushmills you can drink.