Notices

Traveling in Finland

Jan 28th, 2012, 04:28 PM
Original Poster

Traveling in Finland

Four of us will be traveling on a Viking cruise from Moscow to St. Petersburg and then plan to take a train to Helsinki for three days. One day, we are going to take the ferry to Tallinn and take a guided tour but we would also like to take a trip in Finland out into the countryside. We aren't so much into cities as we are outlying areas.

Does anyone know the name of a tour vendor which gives day trips outside the city?
Jan 28th, 2012, 07:44 PM

I've only traveled independently in Finland, so I do not have experience with any tour companies.
I would suggest you contact the Tourist Bureau
www.visithelsinki.fi/
if you want tours.

The countryside outside Helsinki is not very remarkable, but there are lots of wooded trails if you like hiking or biking.

Most people there will probably suggest something that is on the water, either boat, canoe, etc.
A common day trip is boat/bus to Porvoo where there is a small area of old red buildings.
I haven't yet traveled to Fiskars where now there are various arts/crafts studios.
You will find day trip suggestions and contacts on the Tourist Bureau website.
Jan 28th, 2012, 09:18 PM

I know this may be un-loyal....but, if you post this question on the tripadvisor forums you will get a lot more feedback! There are a couple of really good destination experts on Finland over there, they have given me some excellent advice
Jan 29th, 2012, 07:24 AM

If your interest in the countryside is farming, I have thought of a few places that I would take my father who always wants to know about farming.

I visited a small museum, Sarka, sarka.fi. I was meeting a friend's grandfather who was involved in organizing the museum, so I was more involved in visiting with the family than seeing the site. There might have been exhibits outside the museum about farming. The inside museum itself was interesting (my Finnish friend liked it too) and the cafe a simple buffet.

There is also this agricultural museum:
gardskulla.fi/engelska.htm

If this is your interest, you could arrange a private tour in loop via agricultural museums and Turku.

Search this Thread