How late is too late for Amalfi Coast?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19th, 2012, 02:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a trip to the AC for late September or October. It looks like the last week of September is quite busy in the area, so I am wondering how far into October is reasonable to expect good weather and that terraces at restaurants and other outdoor activities will still be open/available.

Should we go in mid-September instead? Would love for it not to be super crowded on over run while we are there.
Old Jan 19th, 2012, 03:01 PM

We were just there the last week in October. We had occasional rain but the temp was ok. There are plenty of places in Sorrento and Positano where you can either eat outside if the weather is good, or step inside and still have a pretty good view. Same for Capri. Be sure, if October, to take an umbrella and warm clothes just in case.

If I had my druthers I think I'd opt for September .. I don't think it will be that crowded.
Old Jan 19th, 2012, 03:05 PM

PS...may I suggest the Hotel Corallo in Sant' Agnello - Sorrento.

It was very nice and fabulous views...free wifi....not far from the main street activities.
Old Jan 19th, 2012, 05:08 PM

If you go past the 10th or so of Sept it should still be pleasantly warm - and the worst of the crowds will be gone. I fyou wait until mid Oct - you may get decent weather - or it may be chilly - and hotel pools will most probably be closed.
Old Jan 20th, 2012, 10:09 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much...exactly what I need to know (without a crystal ball)!
Old Jan 20th, 2012, 10:37 AM
DRJ

We were on the AC mid September 85F and sunny every day.
Old Jan 27th, 2012, 06:55 PM

Hi Denisea,

We're really interested in the development of your plans. When we were planning that trip last year (which we put on hold) the "chink" in our plans was how to get from Rome to the A/C. Car rental? fly to Naples/train? or trains from Rome? And then, how to travel around the A/C? We were checking into hiring a driver. (Shortness of time to plan it all caused us to change our plans and go to Barcelona.)

Perhaps others have mentioned this, but while on the A/C, a trip to the Blue Grotto is really worth it. At first we thought it was just "touristy", which it is, but it is beautiful and well worth it.

Our visit to the A/C a few years ago was with a tour which began in Greece and traveled north, stopping at Pompeii and then on to the A/C (though we learned from that experience that we are not tour people!) However, on our next visit, we might take just a day tour to Pompeii.

Let us know how your plans are coming. We're excited for you!
Old Jan 28th, 2012, 08:27 AM
Original Poster

Interesting that you would ask this now. We have decided to stick with Rome on this trip rather than trying to do both.

We had planned on a train from Rome to Naples and then the Circumv-something train over to the A/C. We were going to use SITA buses while on the A/C, walk or cab when needed. Not sure if that is the best way, but that's what we had planned.

So, we are headed over on September 6 and returning on the 16th. We are very excited! And while we really want to get to Amalfi (and Tuscany, Umbria, Florence, Bologna and more), this trip we will focus on Rome. Maybe a day trip to Orvieto and others. I feel sure we will have plenty to do and see in Rome.
Old Jan 28th, 2012, 08:38 AM

Denisea, Rome is so wonderful! I think you'll appreciate your decision. September should be a wonderful time to go. . .warm temps with summer crowds gone. A/C is a special place that you'll have to look forward to for a future get-away. It's still on our list.
Old Jan 29th, 2012, 05:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks tomarkot...we will get to the A/C eventually but we are looking forward to Rome! Full steam ahead!
Old Jan 29th, 2012, 05:57 AM

For Rome to the Amalfi Coast, we took the recommendation of another Fodorite and took the train to Salerno and then the SITA bus to Amalfi. When we switched locations to Sorrento, we took the SITA bus, as well. Then, when we returned to Rome, we took the Circumvesuviana to Naples and the train from Naples.