Reload this Page >

Traveling Great Britain

Search

Traveling Great Britain

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1st, 1999, 06:58 AM
Norma Austin

Traveling Great Britain

Our first trip to Great Britain. We need help. Is it better to rent a car to go from London to Manchester, and on up into Scotland or can we take a train and then get a car in Scotland? We would like to stay away from tourist attractions and just see the beautiful country. We will be coming in May. Any help would be appreciated. My relatives came from around Oldhan.(Bradbury) Thanks so much> NA

Old Mar 1st, 1999, 07:39 AM
catherine

Unless you love driving.I think it would be much better to go to Scotland by train then rent a car.The English motorways are very fast and busy.Remember there are a lot of people in a very small area.London in particular is a nightmare. It wouldn't be as bad driving to Scotland from Manchester,but the best would be to rent a car in Scotland.You would have a much more relaxing journey.The train system in Britain is excellent.

Old Mar 2nd, 1999, 03:03 AM
Trina

<BR>Norma - <BR> <BR>I had similar goals as yours when I went to the U.K. last summer. I found the train route from London to Edinburgh, to Inverness and back down along the west coast to provide spectacular views of the countryside. While we enjoyed some touristy spots, we managed to avoid the crowds by going to them early in the morning before they opened. For more details, feel free to email me direct.

Old Mar 3rd, 1999, 05:04 AM
Jules

We spent two weeks in GB last summer and also found train trip to Edinburgh and on up to Inverness great. Also, we stayed in Inverness and loved it -- after being in the busy cities of London and Edinburgh, Inverness was a delightful, calm place. The natives did say that the western side of Scotland is much more beautiful and we would have headed there . . . but alas, like always, there's just not enough time when you're on vacation!

Old Mar 8th, 1999, 04:28 PM
M Smith

I have to cast another vote for the British train system. You can hire a car in Scotland. Consider seeing Loch Lomond in Scotland- it is the place the locals vaction. A great get away