Search

Traveling from Siracusa to Taormina on 1 of May/Festa del Lavoro

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12th, 2012, 06:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Traveling from Siracusa to Taormina on 1 of May/Festa del Lavoro

Hello,

I have just booked flight tickets to Sicily and will be landing with my girlfriend at Catania Airport on the 29 of April(Sunday) and returning home on the 4 of May(Friday). I have been thinking about staying first 2 nights in Siracusa and then to go for 3 nights to Taormina, but have just noticed that if I decided to do so I would have to travel on the 1 of May which is Tuesday.

Could you please tell me how much Festa del Lavoro on the 1 of May could affect my trip from Siracusa to Taromina?

I see that connection between these two cities is very good, there are buses leaving almost every hour during the week; it is slighty worse during the weekends, but have no idea how it is on holidays, especially labour day.

Can I expect the timetable on the 1 of May to be similar to the one during the weekends? (for the moment, let say on Sundays there is one bus leaving Siracusa at 8:00-which is a bit too early for me; the next at 13:00 and arrives in Taormina at 17:00 which destroyes the day a bit.).

is it a good idea to move to Taormina on the 1 of May?Or maybe in this case it would be better to stay 3 days in Siracusa and move for 2 days to Taormina?

thank you
Old Jan 12th, 2012, 07:23 AM

The private bus lines do operate on legal holidays as a rule, but why chance it?

If you want to spend three days in Taormina, go there from the airport, then to Siracusa on May 2, which is a regular weekday.
Old Jan 12th, 2012, 10:06 AM

Hello Michal

I stayed there April '10. It's a little ways north of the centre of Catania and I took a rather expensive and wild taxi ride from the airport. The hotel does have a shuttle that runs downtown at preset times. I used it several times and found it helpful. Speaking basic Italian helps with directions and communicating with the drivers. We have been to Taormina many times and the drive from CTA is about 45 min. each way if you know where your going. Have your friends wait for you or one of you hire a car to pick you up and take you to town. Corso Umberto is wonderful for an evening stroll after dinner or before. Be sure to go up to Castel Mola on a nice day great view, one of my favorite places in Sicily.

Thanks,
Ankush

Get more help from www.croatia-in.com
Old Jan 12th, 2012, 10:36 AM
Original Poster

The thing is I need to start my trip from Siracusa because I came across a good offer for Mercure Hotel Siracusa and already booked the first two nights in there...and now I am thinking about festa del lavoro on the 1 of May
Old Jan 12th, 2012, 11:07 AM

If the buses run on May 1, it will be on the less frequent Sunday schedule.

If you've booked in Siracusa, add a day there to avoid travelling on May 1.