Some advice for a short stay in Lisbon

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5th, 2014, 03:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My daughter will be attending an academic conference in Lisbon next month, and I've decided to hop over there from Italy to spend a little time with her. We'll both arrive on the weekend before the conference.

The conference is at the University of Lisbon, at the Technical University site, which seems to be in Ajuda. There don't seem to be any hotels near the conference site, so I was thinking of staying in Belém, which is not very far away, and where there are plenty of things for me to do while she's at her conference. Tentatively, I've chosen the Hotel Jerònimos 8, which is near the monastery of the same name. If anyone has a better idea, I'd be grateful to hear it.

My first question is about transportation. My daughter will need to get to the university early in the morning. I've had various problems using the Carris.pt web site, partly because the only language they have is Portuguese, which in spite of my knowledge of Italian and Spanish, is rather difficult for me to decipher. It looks to me as though there is a bus number 729 that should be useful for getting to the university.

I'll have four days in the city, but my daughter will be busy for two of those days. I think we definitely will want to see the Berado Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art, and maybe I'll visit some other museums on my own. We'll almost certainly visit the Monastery of Jerònimos, since it's so near. I've seen various suggestions for one day walks or tours by bus and tram, which might be a nice way to spend the rest of that day.

My daughter, when she's not wearing her academic hat, is a jazz singer, would surely enjoy hearing some excellent fado, but definitely not a touristy supper show. I would some advice from someone who knows this type of music well.

On the other day that my daughter has free, maybe it would be nice to take a day trip. It seems that everyone suggests Sinta, but I'd like some other ideas, keeping in mind that this will be a weekend, so some places may be a bit overrun with visitors. I see that there's a ferry port in Belém; do any of the ferries go somewhere interesting?

Thanks very much for all advice.
Old Feb 5th, 2014, 03:46 AM

Yes, it's the 729 bus from Belém to the University. FYI, no need to navigate the Carris website; go to maps.google.pt , get directions, enter your starting and ending point, click the public transport icon, and it will not only tell you what bus to take, but what time the next one will arrive!
Old Feb 5th, 2014, 10:16 AM
Original Poster

Any ideas about day trips (other than Sinta, which I'm considering)?
Old Feb 5th, 2014, 10:21 AM

Evora is easily reached by bus. Cascais and Estoril are lovely seaside towns if you are looking for beachy type day trips although may be cool for that next month.
Old Feb 6th, 2014, 06:45 AM

I agree with Sintra, and Cascais perhaps too. But I can't imagine running out of things to do in Lisbon itself!
Old Feb 6th, 2014, 08:07 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There a good number of fado places in the Alfama district, restaurants with singers who do the rounds between venues. It's the oldest part of Lisbon and a walk round to scout out a venue during the day is a good idea.
Old Feb 15th, 2014, 12:52 AM

Since you're in Belém you can take the train to Estoril and maybe Cascais is like a little Monaco, they´re summer destinations but if the weather is not to bad you'll have a nice day by the sea. The ferry to the other side is only good to have a diferent view of Lisbon now from the river, you'll find a small fishing village without fishermans and a couple of seafood restaurants, don't think is important to visit.