Traveling from Paris to Provence

Feb 26th, 1999, 12:53 PM
Cathy

Traveling from Paris to Provence

Four women traveling to Paris in late March for 10 days. We plan on spending most of our time in Paris, but are seriously considering a 2-3 day side trip to Provence via Monte Carlo. Any suggestions?

Feb 26th, 1999, 05:25 PM
anne

Sounds like a great idea! We spent the Christmas holidays in Provence - took the fast train (4 hrs.) to Avignon and picked up a car at the train station (rental set up from the states). Aix-en-Provence was a favorite of mine - the flower market is beautiful! My husband really enjoyed Arles (lots of Roman buildings, Van Gogh places).

Feb 26th, 1999, 07:33 PM
Jerry

Cathy,
Provence is a wonderful place, but if it's a first time there I wouldn't go in March. I spent a week there in May and had 6 days of rain. It's supposed to be sunny, right? It's also a long trip, so if you're coming back to Paris for a plane, you're really spreading it thin. Save Provence for another time and go to Chartres, Versailles, or even the Loire Valley.

Feb 27th, 1999, 11:28 AM
Brian in Atlanta

As wonderful as Paris is, 10 days is still a long time (I know I'm going to ruffle some feathers here) so I think there is time to see Provence. Unless you plan on only going to Avignon, I would definitely consider flying, not the train. It will take about 6-7 hours to get to Nice on the fast train, but only about an hour via plane. Check the prices, it shouldn't be more than about $150 roundtrip. My wife and I are spending 10 days split between Menton and Paris March 20-28.
And don't fret about the weather. You never know what it's going to do, but it's always about 10-15 degrees warmer in Nice than in Paris (on average).

Feb 27th, 1999, 10:35 PM
amy

I, too, am considering traveling from Paris to Provence. Can any of you tell me your favorite things to do in that area? Thanks!

Feb 27th, 1999, 10:36 PM
amy

I, too, am considering traveling from Paris to Provence. Can any of you tell me your favorite things to do in that area? Thanks!

Feb 27th, 1999, 10:36 PM
amy

Feb 27th, 1999, 10:37 PM
amy

Feb 28th, 1999, 02:58 PM
Joel

Cathy, I think you have a great idea there, but, like Brian, I believe that you've got too much time in Paris and not enough in Provence. I used to live in the middle between the two and would routinely go in both directions. I suggest you do 6 days in Paris and 4 in Provence.
Second, you will definitely enjoy the train for your trip South, but, by all means, set up a car rental at the other end. Do it from here in the States to cut cost as it is cheaper to rent here, use there.
Third, Monte Carlo is a pretty place, but very expensive and, to my way of thinking, not as interesting as a large number of other Provence sites. At the top of my list is the Pont du Gard (a fabulous acquaduct that Caesar built), Avignon, Arles, Orange, les Baux, and, for a really fabulous view, a night at the Sofitel Vieux Porte hotel in Marseille. A day in Marseilles can include a boat trip to the Chateau d'If (Count of Monte Cristo) a walk in the Old Port with its outdoor restaurants, bouillebaisse, and general charm.
I confess I wish I was going with you! but if I can provide any particulars, please contact me direct. Whatever you do, have a great time!!

Mar 1st, 1999, 05:05 AM
anne

The medieval village of Eze is a charmer - be sure to spend some time walking around the twisty cobbled lanes of this tiny town perched above the sea.

Mar 12th, 1999, 01:42 PM
Bob

Having been in the south in late March, you never know what to expect. It can be beautiful spring weather, quite warm, or it can be rainy with awful winds. Hopefully, you get lucky with the weather.