Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Traveling from Naples, Italy to Bari, Italy

Jul 9th, 2015, 08:21 PM
Original Poster

Traveling from Naples, Italy to Bari, Italy: do you recommend train or bus? We will be dropping off rental car at Naples airport, will take Alibus to Naples Central train station. Appreciate the guidance.
Jul 9th, 2015, 09:02 PM
kja

If both are options, my recommendation would be to go with whichever fits your schedule better.
Jul 9th, 2015, 10:18 PM

I just answered your other post, about getting to Naples airport from FCO, and if your real destination is Bari, I suggest you fly to Bari and rent your car there. You can still drop it off at Naples airport if you pick it up in Bari.

Both Alitalia and Ryan Air fly several times a day from FCO to Bari. Flight time is just a bit over an hour. If you choose Ryan Air, make sure you understand the luggage requirements.
Jul 10th, 2015, 12:52 AM

I presume you need to get to Naples airport to pick up a hire car for your period around Naples and the Amalfi Coast.

To Bari - I would not recommend taking a train. Connections East/West in Italy are very poor apart from the north of the country. Naples to Bari is a long trip with a number of changes and not all trains have air-conditioning.

An air-conditioned pullman bus would be a much better choice.

If you feel you can drive around Naples then you can drive anywhere. Why not drive to Bari and either continue to use the car while there - convenient for visiting Alborobello, the Salento penisula, Ostuni etc or just drop it off at Bari airport. The different drop off cost should not cost that much when you factor in all the other costs/savings and certainly gives you much greater flexibility.
Jul 10th, 2015, 03:36 AM

Driving to Bari, since you already have a vehicle, isn't a bad idea. The drive is fairly easy.
Jul 10th, 2015, 03:44 AM

I see now that I misinterpreted your two posts put together. I also would recommend driving to Bari.
Jul 10th, 2015, 05:35 AM

If I had time enough I'd do what I've done before and take the train and it is wonderful, limited air con when I did it, but the windows open, the view is often amazing as a tunnel breaks through a mountain into a hidden valley and then back into a tunnel. A real way to meet the people and enjoy travel.

I found a nice little comparison site with the numbers

http://www.rome2rio.com/s/Naples/Bari
Jul 10th, 2015, 06:18 AM

You can train from Naples to Bari in under 4 hours, with 1 change. That's what I would do. Very easy.
Jul 10th, 2015, 06:57 AM

Lack of a/c on many regional trains may be a big problem a certain times of the year
Jul 10th, 2015, 03:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. There are four us traveling all over Italy for three weeks. Flying into Rome and then heading down to Pompeii and Amalfi Coast. Only stopping in Naples long enough to pick up and drop off car. Will re-think driving to Bari. Sounds like a good idea.
Jul 10th, 2015, 04:12 PM
Original Poster

Special thanks to bilboburgler for the Rome2Rio app. It is very helpful!