Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Dolomites, Valle d'Aosta, or both - and for how long

Old Nov 12th, 2014, 05:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm trying to plan a trip for next July (2015) and I think I want to do both the Dolomites and Valle d'Aosta but not sure how long to spend in either of them. We would want to do at least a couple cable car rides and short (half day) hikes but hiking is not the sole, or even the main, purpose. We just like to visit regions and towns. And photograph them.

In the Dolomites I'd want to see Trento, Bolzano, and Bressanone plus a few 'picturesque' villages, drive the Grand Strada delle Dolomiti and as I said, do at least one cable car ride/hike. I was thinking of basing in Bressanone.

Then we'd probably spend a couple nights (one full day) on Lake Garda - north end (I've been to the south end and loved it but don't feel the need to go back right now).

Then Valle d'Aosta. Probably base in Aosta. Definitely want to see the Matterhorn from the Italian side. I saw it from Zermatt (Gornergrat) a few years ago and loved it (took the train up and hiked part way down) and would love to see it from the other side. Several of the castles in the Aosta valley region look interesting.

This will part of a longer trip. I was thinking of about 10 nights total for this section (4 Dolomites, 2 lake Garda, 4 Aosta). Does this sound right? But real flexible at this point.

Suggestions for timing, things to add, to skip.
Thanks
Old Nov 12th, 2014, 06:00 AM

It may be hard to do all that (of course only small parts of it) during 10 days. You could easily spend more than 1 week in each of both areas.
There are tons of cableway lines in both areas. May be you check those going to the highest points:
Grawand, the highest hotel of the Alps
http://www.grawand.com/en/
Pointe Hellbronner, the highest gondola station along the French-Italian border.
http://www.lovecourmayeur.com/en/cou...nta-helbronner
Don't be afraid by the fact that the Matterhorn looks completely different from the Southern side.
http://www.cervinia.it/pages/SALITA_PLATEAU_ROSA_/
and spend at least half a day in the charming old city of Aosta and it's roman theatre, triumphal arch and fine museums.
Old Nov 12th, 2014, 06:58 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
For the Dolomites, I'd base in a town in the Val Gardena rather than Bressanone and avoid driving SS12 as much as possible. I've never seen so many semi trucks. Plus you'll wake up to a pretty view every day.

If it were my 4-day trip to the Dolomites, I wouldn't have time for any of the cities, although the Ice Man museum in Bolzano was fascinating.
Old Nov 12th, 2014, 07:12 AM

I agree with Jean--I would base in Val Gardena.
Or, in Castelrotto which is nearby and quite photogenic.

I gtru
Old Nov 12th, 2014, 07:22 AM

OOOPS---big thumb !

I trust you have seen the trip report and photo gallery from the Go family---especially good for hiking options. You can access the Alpi du Suisi from both Castelrottto and Ortisei. The Sella Pass is my favorite for photo ops.

As for Garda, I would base in Riva or Limone at the north end.
I hope the wind surfers are out when you are there---quite spectacular--it is the wind surfing capital of Europe.

Here is my meager gallery---nothing campared to the G0_ family

http://www.slowphotos.com/photo/show...y.php?cat=4441
Old Nov 12th, 2014, 09:29 AM

The Dolomites area is 2 to 3 hours driving from Lake Garda, Valle D'Aosta is 3-4 hours driving from Lake Garda (this means it is 5-6 hours from Dolomites). IMHO I would skip Valle d'Aosta at all, giving 2 or 3 days to Lake Garda and 7-8 to Dolomites; this way you have an half or whole day of actual holiday instead of travelling.

Bolzano, Trento and Bressanone are nice, but the real attraction are the mountain villages. You can always visit the cities as day trips from the villages, reserving to them rainy days, if any, and hiking on sunny days.
Old Nov 12th, 2014, 10:56 AM

We spent a full week in Val Gardena last year and loved it! Lots of hiking from cable lifts, great village. Bolzano was ok (don't miss seeing Otzi) but I wouldn't call it a highlight. Especially for photography.

You can see our photos here https://www.flickr.com/photos/pug_gi...7636058614266/

Happy planning!
Old Nov 13th, 2014, 05:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies. Lots to think about. I just spent two hours (when I was supposed to be working) reading the go family trip report and looking at their photos and bobs and jamikins. Of course now I want a whole week in the Dolomites. But still want to do Valle d'Aosta as well. Lots more planning to do. Thanks again for all the links.