traveling from London to Paris

Old Mar 6th, 2008, 10:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
traveling from London to Paris

Hello. My husband and I are planning our trip to Europe. We are a bit stuck on travel from London to Paris. We know that the train is best but it costs about $300 for both of us while flying is only $200. We are going on late May to be traveling between the cities on May 30, Friday. Of course we can not book the train yet, raileurope and railsaver will only let us but 30 days out. Also if we do train, should we go airport to airport or is London St Pancras to Paris Nord okay? We do not yet have hotels (are booknig with bidding for travel this week). Anyway, any thoughts on the price difference and what is 'better' than the other? Thank you so much!!!
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 11:04 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
$200 plus $$/time to get to the airport, $$/time to get in from the airport, plus advance check in -- the train can actually be cheaper and is almost always faster.

But play around w/ your train times - can make a big difference. Plus, look at R-T - even if you discard the return journey it can be cheaper than one-way.
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 11:06 AM

RailEurope or Railsaver is unlikely to be the best way to book the train.

Use Eurostar.com and look at various posts here about how to get the best rate.

Are you sure you want to use Priceline for Paris? It's usually very good for London, though.

If you do train, then definitely St. Pancras to Paris Gare du Nord.

With that said, flying is not bad, in my opinion, although I know it's less popular.
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 11:08 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much. It sounds that train will be best plus a differnt way to travel. We'll book once we get within 60 days. Thanks again!
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 11:09 AM

The issues with flying will also be you need to get to the airport (pay for that), you need to get there early (lose many hours there), repeat at other tend, while train is cetnre to centre. So in the end, you don't really save.

I don't beleive there is a train from airport to airport (?)

I've seen better pricing, it may be because you are going on a Friday. Leaving on the Thursday i asee a 30 pound fare.
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 11:15 AM

Crappy spelling! Yes, take the train. You get to see the countryside, and experience high speed travel which is quite neat (no vibrations and smooth). Are you doing a round trip?
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 11:31 AM
ira

Hi S,

You can buy a one-day RT ticket on May 30 at www.eurostar.com for 109GBP ($215 pp) right now.

Old Mar 6th, 2008, 08:00 PM

Hi scosner, I have already been able to book my September Eurostar trip through our travel agent here in Australia (earlybird booking) for $368 AUD for 2 adults and 2 youths so you must be able to book for May somehow.(this is the same price the Eurostar and Raileurope site showed too)