Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Traveling from LA to Dublin. Then hopping on flight to CDG Paris.

Notices

Old Jan 17th, 2020, 12:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi! In September, we will be splitting our honeymoon between Paris and Ireland. We decided to do the majority of flights on the front end so we can just take a non-stop flight home from Dublin at the end. We are flying from LAX to Dublin. Then taking a separate flight to Paris.
1) How much time should we allow from getting off the plane in Dublin to getting on our flight to Paris?
2) How much time does it take to exit CDG airport (so we can let our Home Away host know a time.) Thank you!
Old Jan 17th, 2020, 01:17 AM

Are your flights already booked? If not you could into possibility of a ticket LAX-CDG direct, then DUB-LAX direct and another separate ticket CDG-DUB. Compare price of booking sep tkts LAX-CDG/-DUB-LAX vs booking via a travel agent who could possibly put those flights on one ticket as open jaw (eg Expedia or Travelocity) as they are operated by different airlines (unless airlines are part of same alliance).

Otherwise if you travel as you have planned, you need 3-4 hours to be on the safe side between the arrival flight into DUB from LAX and the next flight to CDG. It would probably be best if you book a flexible ticket DUB-CDG in case your arrival flight into DUB is late and you miss the flight, that way you can pay extra to rebook on next available flight (which might incur a fare differential to be paid, check fare rules). Some might advise you need even more time and others will tell you to overnight in DUB.

Time to exit CDG, that depends, I'd say an hour on average.

Old Jan 17th, 2020, 01:47 AM
Original Poster

Thank you! I have priced LAX-CDG then DUB-LAX and that makes the whole trip $1000 per ticket. Thank you so much for the tips!
Old Jan 17th, 2020, 01:54 AM
Original Poster

OMG, Odin! You're a genius! I was wrong! I was pricing them completely separately. But when I did multiple flights the way you suggested (Expedia,) it's actually cheaper than doing a round trip. You just changed my life! Thank you so much!
Old Jan 17th, 2020, 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by goldiocks21 View Post
OMG, Odin! You're a genius! I was wrong! I was pricing them completely separately. But when I did multiple flights the way you suggested (Expedia,) it's actually cheaper than doing a round trip. You just changed my life! Thank you so much!
odin is a god.
I had the same surprise going to the caribbeans tonoay less by adding a stop in another island.
I strongly recommend to buy direct via an airline instead of going via Expedia.
They are probably among the less bad third parties resellers but I advise you take a look at je horror stories on TA travel air forums. (Or jus google 'rip off opodo' or other such sites.
Mans cingrats for you wedding !

Old Jan 17th, 2020, 02:49 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, ahbonvraiment! I thought that in order to get this deal, I had to book with a 3rd party app. But I just went directly to the airline and it works just as well! Thank you so much for that advice. I really appreciate it. Happy travels!
Old Jan 17th, 2020, 04:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We just did this Dublin to Munich after landing. It was very quick. We did have to go and get our Lufthansa boarding pass from the counter. We had a whole day delay and thankfully had planned to spend the night in Dublin which we lost. We made the connecting flight we had planned. Dublin is very fast. I am always out of CDG in an hour but always have carry on. An hour into the city by train or taxi aprrox.
Old Jan 18th, 2020, 11:10 PM
Original Poster

Thank you!