traveling coastal spain

Search

traveling coastal spain

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2nd, 2013, 08:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
traveling coastal spain

three days in barcelona from june 16th through june 18th. we have some sites we'll visit via public transportation and lots of walking. any ideas for a centrally located hotel under $150 per night? we will visit las ramblas; sagrada familia; park guell; barri gothic to name a few. Then, anybody have experience with renting a car in barcelona and returning it somewhere else (and how safe the drive was)? we want to travel along the coast from barcelona to malaga over a period of a few days where we will head over to morocco and am thinking about doing the coast via rental car.
Old Jun 3rd, 2013, 12:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The one way rental is no problem providing you use one of the larger rental companies. Look at the major websites i.e. Hertz, Avis etc. Barcelona is easy to drive out of to the South, so no need to drag out to the airport for the hire.

Driving is extremely safe both in terms of personal security and road manners and the road South takes in Valencia, well worth a stop.
Old Jun 3rd, 2013, 12:35 AM

Just out of curiosity, how many days do you have budgeted for your Barcelona to Malaga to Morocco trip? I'm sure you looked and noticed that it's about 1050 km from Barcelona to Malaga if you hug the coast and from Malaga to Tarifa is another 160. That 160 from Malaga to Tarifa will take you around two hours.

As Rubicund noted, driving is pretty safe as far as traffic and driving habits go, and getting one-way car rentals is pretty easy. Sixt offers a one week one-way rental from Barcelona to Malaga for $242 which I think is pretty good.
Old Jun 3rd, 2013, 03:05 AM

'we want to travel along the coast from barcelona to Malaga over a period of a few days ' - if you stick to the coast, do you understand a great deal of this is unsightly build?
Old Jun 3rd, 2013, 04:17 AM

WomBatt is right, at least in the stretch from Barcelona airport to the area around Salau. And be aware of tolls on some (the E roads?) roads. We found those major (E) highways along the coast to be good for relatively quick travel, but not very scenic in that stretch.

We loved Tarragona; hope it's one of your stops if you really do head south via car.
Old Jun 4th, 2013, 08:34 PM
Original Poster

thanks for all the replies! i guess we wont be hugging the coastline also helpful to know the car rental info. we just may have to add tarragona to our list of places to stop, as well!
Old Jun 5th, 2013, 12:40 AM

In Barcelona, I can recommend Hotel Banys Orientals right in the best location in the vibrant and medieval Born area close to "everything". Double for 105€/140USD:
http://www.hotelbanysorientals.com/en/index.html

About the area: http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.c...s/el-born.html
Old Jun 5th, 2013, 08:08 AM

Regencia Colon in Barcelona was great, couldn't be a better location. The drive to Malaga really isn't that nice. I would much rather take the high speed train.
Old Jun 5th, 2013, 08:14 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You flying to a good part of Morocco? Surely not taking the ferry?
Old Jun 5th, 2013, 08:09 PM
Original Poster

the reason why we want to drive is because our plan is to stop along the way from barcelona to malaga at places such as:valencia, alicante, granada, cordoba, sevilla, and other suggested places. we did plan on taking a ferry from malaga to tangier. we will stay a few days in morocco traveling via bus by to chef, fes, rabat and back to tangier. we fly out of tangier to portugal! all suggestion are welcome!
Old Jun 5th, 2013, 11:55 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Neither tangier nor casablanca is anything to write home about, though fez, rabat and marrakech are all wonderful. I think there is still a flight from Seville that would allow you to avoid the ferry.
Old Jun 6th, 2013, 03:15 AM

Yeah, Tangier is kinda sketchy BUT it sure is convenient to get to and you can do a quick day trip there.
Old Jun 6th, 2013, 03:40 AM

I drove that route two years ago, from Málaga to Barcelona in 5 days. Finding a rental car company, also one of the major local/ Spanish ones, is no problem. Extra costs for one-way rental had been moderate (around €60-80 or so).

Actually, not much of the coast is built up in an unpleasant manner. In an around the major conurbations like Barcelona to Reus, Castellón, Valencia, Alicante, Almeria and Málaga you obviously also have tourist resorts of different levels of architectural beauty and also industry, but huge stretches are very nice, with smaller towns, agriculture, hundreds of sights worth visiting from templar castles to pre-historic cave paintings.

But as you already committed yourself on visiting the big cities (which is not a bad idea, of course), you simply won't have much time to use your road trip for what it's best, IMO, i.e. to see the sights and nature which is not in or near those big cities. Therefore, taking the train may be the wiser and more relaxing way.

If you still want to drive, you should take AP-7 south from Barcelona to Valencia, even though it's tolled.
South of Valencia you usually have toll-free A-7 more or less parallel to the AP. Or two-lane N-340, which is usually very busy with trucks wherever it's the only toll-free alternative to AP-7.
Old Jun 6th, 2013, 10:11 AM

If you have an extra month I like the idea of renting a car. If not Places like Barcelona, Sevilla and Granada might be the best parts of your trip. These cities are so great that I would not waste time getting to them. What they offer a first time visitor really outweighs stopping in little villages and out of the way small towns. Having been there I wouldn't even tarnish a dreamy trip to Andalucia by going to Tangier, Chefchaouen and Fez. If I had to go to Morocco again I would fly into Marrakesh, visit Essouira and fly back to Spain which will seem almost like paradise after a trip to Morocco. Obviously my opinions are quite biased though.
Old Jun 7th, 2013, 03:25 AM

Just reading through this as we will be on the coast of Spain in July - staying in the Mijas area.

WomBatt, could you explain what you mean by "a great deal of this is unsightly build"? We did a lot of research and read many nice comments about the area we are staying in. We did not read anything about it being "unsightly". Thanks.
Old Jun 7th, 2013, 03:39 AM

I cannot answer for WomBatt, but personally I found that the huge resorts and hotels, not to mention golf courses, along the Andalucian Coast mar what would otherwise be a picturesque landscape.
Old Jun 7th, 2013, 04:25 AM

Thanks for the info, sparkchaser.

Yes, I did read about the numerous resorts and hotels and saw pictures, but it did not seem to be unsightly. We are staying in a villa a little away from the coast and all of what I have seen looks lovely. I hope we won't be disappointed.

Did not mean to interrupt your thread, jane. Have a great trip!
Old Jun 7th, 2013, 04:47 AM

Marianna and others.
The OP said 'doing the coast via rental car'. You will note I responded fairly promptly, before any qualification that this was not going to be a hug the coast trip, perhaps expecting something like the Pacific Coast Highway.
You are also referring to a very small area with 'Mijas area' not with a 1000 kms. long coastline journey. Having said that there is Mijas pueblo (attractive ish) and Mijas costa. I would not know what your expectations are of the Mijas area, in the same way as I did not know with the OP. If you like residential and hotel tower blocks and all which goes with them, maybe this will not be unsightly to you.
Old Jun 7th, 2013, 04:52 AM

Thanks for explaining, WomBatt. From what I understand and what I see in the pictures, we are not in the hotel areas and our views are not blocked by big buildings.
Old Jun 7th, 2013, 05:41 AM

Marianna - thanks for the thanks and best wishes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -