Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Traveling by rental car from Zancopane, Poland to Czech Rep & Slovakia (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/traveling-by-rental-car-from-zancopane-poland-to-czech-rep-and-slovakia-975926/)

floridaprincess1969 Apr 26th, 2013 10:25 AM

Traveling by rental car from Zancopane, Poland to Czech Rep & Slovakia

I am an American flying into Krakow and traveling to Zancopane in Poland this August. My husband and I have already arranged the international drivers license. My question is, how difficult will it be for us to take a rental car into both these countries if we choose, and what are the best recommendations for tourism as close to the Polish border as possible? We don't want to be in the car for hours, but we would like the experience of being able to squeeze in an extra country during our ten days in Poland. Thanks in advance for your input.

annhig Apr 26th, 2013 12:19 PM

Hi, florida princess,

we looked at doing this at one time [we still may!] and as you say, the obvious other countries to look at are the Czech republic and Slovakia.

you will have to ask your car renal company, but I doubt that they will object to your driving into either country - problems tend to arrive when people want to drive German or austrian cars into former eastern block countries.

the Tartra mountain in the north of Slovakia and the Czech town of Omolouc are places that we were interested in seeing.

have a great trip!

amer_can Apr 26th, 2013 12:22 PM

As I remember this trip we couldn't cross the border out from Zacopane (no border through road) and had to back track further west but we had our own car. Maybe there is a border crossing now or maybe none is needed now..Also are there special visas needed for either of you??.. DH and DIL had to get Czech. ones.. Don't know the current regs if any. Chack with the rental company..some have weird regs. for eastern european travel.

Parmenter Apr 26th, 2013 04:39 PM

Border crossings from Krakow will not be a problem, except perhaps for the Ukraine & Belarus etc.
Although we have had an International Driver's license we have never been asked to produce it, but you should carry it anyway,
If you drive east from Zakopane to Slovakia,(no formal border crossing) there is a lovely village just across the border among the High Tatra mountains called Zdiar. Great location with very inexpensive accomodations. There are many choices for lodgings but we used Bellevue,(www.privatzdiar.sk) which a couple of years ago was 25 Euro per night. Slovakia uses the Euro and is an EU partner nation. Slovakia is kind of a hidden gem. East from Zdiar there are chair lifts to the High Peaks, guided river rafting rides, Levoca and Spis Castle, all worth a visit.
Slovakia has one major autoroute which you need a vignette sticker for. The autoroute will provide a quick passage to the Czech Republic. However, the Slovak Republic offers a more unique experience than the Czech Republic and certainly Poland, in my opinion.
If you wanted to avoid Zakopane, go south from the Krakow ring road to Nowry Targ, easy of this town take route 49 south to Zdiar. You can find a good deal of info online & youtube re Zdiar. Zdiar is a good base for northern/central Slovakia.
In Poland consider driving to Auschitz-Birkenau along an easy route. We are Yanks too and found the area, safer, friendlier, easier & less expensive than America.

Michael Apr 26th, 2013 10:36 PM

You might want to take a look at my trip report; click on my name to find it. From Zakopane you can go to Slovakia, drive east and come back to Poland near Sanok. Keep in mind that there are are cross-border drop-off fees on car rental.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mksfca/...th/4204746086/

floridaprincess1969 Apr 27th, 2013 08:07 AM

Thanks, guys! I definitely have to go to Zancopane because that is where my mother's family is from--and i am the first to return in three generations. Your suggestions were just what I needed. Slovakia it is!

Parmenter Apr 27th, 2013 09:09 AM

Enjoy Zakopane. There is a rail line that will take you above the town for wonderful views.
If you have a slow moment visit the 'symbolic grave' of Bronislaw Czech at the Peksowy national cemetery. Three time Olympian, once at our 1932 Lake Placid, NY winter Olympics.
A member of the Polish underground he was murdered in Auschwitz June 1944. Led a fascinating life to an all too early death.

Toucan Apr 27th, 2013 11:12 AM

Zakopane is a great place to visit mostly for it's beauty and quirkyness. The Southern Carpathian Mountains seem to get overlooked by foreign tourists maybe because they are a bit out of the way, but they are beautiful!

I second Parmenters suggestion to visit to Zdiar. We drove the other direction, to the West then South toward Budapest and loved the drive although I really wanted to go futher into the Tatras. Maybe next time! Never had a problem with crossing the border since on our route it was just another sign!

Couldn't get enough of the bobsled ride in Zakopane because it's fast and fun. To the exasperation of the operator, I took my sweet time to climb in and launch so the person before me was way down the run and it could be pedal to the metal all the way! I must still be at the 'fast-is-fun' stage of life!

Enjoy your trip!