Traveling by my self from Venice to Rome

Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 10:17 PM
Original Poster

Traveling by my self from Venice to Rome

I will be traveling by myself From Venice to Rome for 12 Days starting march 29 I want all the information and Advice I can get. Never been to Europe. I want to see more than just the tourist life of Italy. After graduting from college this has always been my dream. I know Spanish and some Italian. Would it be a good idea to go to the small towns or to be in the safe side just stay in the big cities? I would be traveling by train. Is it safe to travel at night? I would be in Rome for Easter Sunday, any advice on that?
Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 11:23 PM

I would recommend travelling by train. Loved train travel in Italy. The small towns are interesting and actually feel safer than the big cities I would say. (Big cities anywhere in the world tend to attract their share of crime.)

Do watch your luggage at all times, including on the train. This is advice for travel any where. Anything you have...wallet, purse, money belt...be aware and plan carefully.

If you are a female I wouldn't walk around alone at night.

Venice and Rome are amazing! Rome is my favorite city on earth.

Try to stay in a nice centrally located accomodation in Rome. Makes life a lot easier.

this is a great travel forum. I used both the Fodors guidebook and the Rick Steves guidebook for Italy.

Enjoy! Buon viaggio!
Old Jan 24th, 2007, 12:30 AM

Hi

I utilized a great company in Northern Itlay. They helped me plan and organize a great trip. They also offer travel support if you need.

Contact at [email protected] I am sure they can get you started in the right direction
Old Jan 24th, 2007, 05:49 AM
ira

Hi ari,

Venice at night is very safe.

In Rome, take the usual precautions.

Will you be spending 12 days getting from Venice to Rome?

Old Jan 24th, 2007, 06:00 AM

Assuming you are in your early-late twenties, consider using the "Let's Go" Italy guidebook, geared for younger travelers on a budget and with more info on transportation and hostels than the others. My 20's daughter, for example, stayed in a hostel right outside Venice and saved hundreds of dollars. Additionally you often meet someone with whom you can go out at night or tour with in the day, as well as get advice from. Make sure to get a lock for your backpack or suitcase, for the train. Most hostels have lockers, too, to store your bag during the day...lastly, make sure to leave detailed info for your family and/or friends in the US, and always carry a card with all of that with you, as well. How exciting!
Old Jan 24th, 2007, 09:00 AM
MaureenB

You might try STATravel.com. They specialize in travel plans for age 20-something travelers. My daughter traveled a lot in Italy on her own last semester. But she was usually connecting with friends in other cities, like Rome and Bologna, so wasn't completely alone all the time. She had no problem quickly mastering the train system, etc.
>-

Old Jan 24th, 2007, 09:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the advice. Yes, Iím a female, traveling alone to Europe, But Iím not scare. I want to be spontaneous. Iím planning to spend 2-3 days in Venice, 2-3 between Venice and Rome and finally 4-5 in Rome.
Old Jan 24th, 2007, 09:32 AM
ira

Hi a,

I suggest 3 days for Venice, 3 days for Florence (with a daytrip to Siena), rest of time in Rome.

Train schedules and tickets are at www.trenitalia.com

Don't bother with a railpass.

I'd fly into VCE and out of FCO.

See www.kayak.com

Also see Helpful Information: Italy 2
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34568596

Enjoy your visit.