Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Traveling around the elections? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/traveling-around-the-elections-478362/)

smiley525 Oct 4th, 2004 11:55 AM

Traveling around the elections?

Do you think the elctions will effect travel to Europe? I'm going to Italy 3 days after the elections.

FainaAgain Oct 4th, 2004 12:23 PM

Do you mean Europeans will be voting with us? Where were they 4 years ago when Gore needed them?

Or you mean at the airport security personnel will turn back everybody who doesn't have that "I voted" sticker?

mclaught Oct 4th, 2004 12:50 PM

I'm not sure exactly what you mean, are you concerned about terrorists trying to affect the elections? I would think your trip 3 days AFTER the election should one of the safest times to fly. Maybe I misinterpreted your question. In that case, I'll go ahead and guess that no matter who gets elected president, they'll still let you fly to Italy.

ira Oct 4th, 2004 12:58 PM

Hi S,

I expect that the losers, no matter which side, will be staying home and gnashing their teeth rather than going to Europe.

Your flight will be half empty. :)

highledge Oct 4th, 2004 01:03 PM

Not to start something, but I'd worry wory about traveling three days BEFORE the elction rather than three days after (Madrid). BUT I will be traveling before the US presidential elections and won't be taking any extra precautions.

Clifton Oct 4th, 2004 01:23 PM

I'd prefer to think of the flight as half full. :)

smiley525 Oct 6th, 2004 04:52 AM

Sorry I didn't mean actual physical travel, I meant more the response people will have towards Americans (I expect most Itilians don't like Bush)so if he is elected again will people be more anti American.

ira Oct 6th, 2004 04:55 AM

Hi S,

It might come as a shock to you, but most Europeans don't care who wins, and those who do are unlikely to seek you out to let you know their feelings.

Florence Oct 6th, 2004 05:16 AM

Bonjour smiley,

You shouldn't notice anything unless
a) you broach the subject (at your own peril: remember talking politics is as much a sport for Europeans as it is for any citizen of any country),
b) the new/reelected president announces he's going to invade/bomb another country ;-).

In case of a), expect either "Oh, poor you! 4 more years with Bush", "what in the wide world of sports did you have in mind electing this ç%ç"&"* again", "good, now we'll take care of Iran/Syria/Easter Island" or "Well done, now there's some hope for better times", depending on who got elected and your/your interlocutor's political opinions.

Whatever the result of the election, and unless you express your support for your favorite candidate in an exceptionnally unpleasant manner, as an individual tourist, you shouldn't experience worse manifestation of anti-Americanism than being served luke-warm coke without ice ;-)

In case of b) avoid coming to Europe for the foreseeable future ... ;-)

TopMan Oct 6th, 2004 05:32 AM

I'm not sure Europeans are actually "anti-American" now.

I think some people here would like us to THINK Europeans, particularly the French, are anti-American based on that country's refusal to sanction or participate in the current conflict.

I feel much MUCH safer traveling to Europe, including France, despite the current political administration than I would if I were a French citizen traveling to some parts of the US.

I don't think the elections will affect your trip if only because I think the end election results will be positive for this country, and for others.

Tallulah Oct 6th, 2004 05:42 AM

I imagine that if Bush wins (heaven help the world) then the most you'll get (IF you bring it up) is a) sympathy or b) incredulity that your nation wanted to re-elect him (putting aside the fact that he wasn't elected last time round).

If Kerry wins, nobody will say a thing because nobody has the first clue he is, other than when being parodied on (certainly British) TV as the one with the big chin.

Frankly, we really don't care very much. Sorry!

(Incidentally, would you question a British visitor to the States after our next election as to the result dependent upon whether Blair or Howard (who? I hear you say..) wins. I doubt it).

Weadles Oct 6th, 2004 05:54 AM

smiley525,

I have to disagree with Ira. I think most Europeans DO care who wins.The election result may result in some anti-Americanism, (especially right before and right after the election) but that remains to be seen.

However, if you conduct yourself respectfully, and refrain from seeking out political discussions ( unless you want them) you should be fine.

Infotrack Oct 6th, 2004 06:02 AM

I imagine if Kerry wins (heaven help the US)....

Ann41 Oct 6th, 2004 06:22 AM

My travel will be affected by the elections. If Kerry wins, I'm moving back to the US. If Bush wins, four more years abroad.

degas Oct 6th, 2004 06:22 AM

I heard a rumor that France has ordered a million more surrender flags and is planning a national day of escape and evasion training for 3 Nov!

hansikday Oct 6th, 2004 06:28 AM

Ann41, I can't believe you are that silly. You better extend your lease!

mgmargate Oct 6th, 2004 06:33 AM

ANN: No need to back your bags.

Dr_DoGood Oct 6th, 2004 06:49 AM

Smiley -
the absolute MOST that might happen is that someone might ask you whether or not you were personally happy with the result. Regardless of the outcome a non-commital shrug of the shoulders should suffice to deal with such an enquiry.
Other than that you'll find Europeans are not anti-American and that we do differentiate between your government and the individual traveller. And, to be honest, the despair at the Bush administration is not a given as seems to be assumed on this forum. There are plenty of Europeans who believe that his (foreign) policies have been the correct ones.

mgmargate: do you really think so? I am aware of your sympathies (so please try and be objective if you reply!) but the media over here has been portraying the race as much closer now following last week's debate and the current situation in Iraq. Do you honestly believe that with a couple more debate-wins for Kerry that the election is a foregone conclusion?

Dr D.

Tallulah Oct 6th, 2004 07:05 AM

I'm REALLY going to get shouted at for this one (I'm a big girl though, I can take it..) but I'm really quite astonished by the underlying arrogance (I'm trying to make this comment as benign as possible but probably failing...!) that suggests that your travel should/will be affected by the result of your election!

Do you actually think that the rest of the world thinks of nothing else than America? Or that we're sitting here holding our breath following every opinion poll?

I LOVE America and go there as often as I can, but sometimes I despair at how insular some of you can be...

smiley525 Oct 6th, 2004 07:30 AM

These are form the travel section weekly chat at Washingtonpost.com, this is what prompted me to ask the qestions:

"Well, my parents travel recently was just awful.

They went to Paris for two weeks, and they said there was not one day they were reminded they are Americans.

The people were extra rude to them to the point my parents decided not to eat out only because there was a serving that didn't look like it should have. Of course this was after the waiter heard the Kings English American style.

They referred to Bush as a Tyrant everywhere they went.

To continue...they were even spat on at one point, my dad couldn't take any longer and spoke up, and unfortunately after this exchange of political views and spitting and threats my decided to leave and never intends on returning to paris, france.

At this point, is there any place where americans can travel outside of america that will not be touched by these worldly political affects."

" For the person whose folks traveled to Europe and had to suffer the insults, I just returned from a trip to Ontario where I visited in-laws and got blasted daily for being an American. One incident was really bad and involved a 90 year-old lady ripping me up one side and down the other. It's oh, so nice to be accused of being the cause of all the world's problems!"

"Hello, Travel Gurus. I don't have a question, but just some remarks that I've been meaning to post. Many readers have asked throughout the year about anti-American sentiment overseas, and your responses have mostly been that everyone is friendly towards Americans. As a frequent international traveller over the years, I was shocked at the anti-Americanism we encountered this past summer. My husband, daughter, and I travelled throughout Europe, and while people were not hostile or anything, we definitely felt a strong disdain from people when they discovered we were from the U.S. I should state that we are not the so-called 'ugly Americans.' We dress according to the norms of whatever society we are in, we speak several other languages and learn at least the basics of each country's tongue. We also tend to venture away from the typical American 'tourist' spots and lodgings, so perhaps that affected our experience; we were interacting more with people who do not usually meet Americans. Anyway, while I am not stating this to discourage anyone from travelling -- nothing could be farther from the case, actually -- I wanted to let people know, from someone who has travelled quite a bit, that the actions of our leaders here in the US does have an impact in how we are viewed and treated abroad. Perhaps not everywhere in the world, but at least in the countries we visited (Poland, Bulgaria, Macedonia, Romania, Germany, Czech Republic, Greece, the Netherlands and Spain). In years past, I think people separated the actions of the US government from the US -people-, but this seemed to be less so this past summer. Some of our experiences included people asking us if we were going to vote for the 'awful' GW Bush; responding to our 'where are you from' answers with sarcastic replies ("oh, the GREAT and wonderful USA"); and stating things like, "oh, so have you come to run our country, too?" We also found at the Olympics in Athens that spectators cheered for whatever team was playing AGAINST the U.S., regardless of the country. This may have just been our experience, however, but I wanted to share it nevertheless. That said, our trip was great in every other way, and we met many great people, and will continue to travel overseas! We'll be more emotionally prepared next time, though.
Thanks for your time. "