Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Traveling Alone (beach, moneybelts) (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/traveling-alone-beach-moneybelts-114953/)

Jan Mar 26th, 2001 11:31 PM

Traveling Alone (beach, moneybelts)

As a woman who will be traveling alone in Croatia, Italy and France after leaving my tour June 5, I would appreciate advice on safeguarding my moneybelt items at the beach. Do those waterproof neck pouches work?

Santa Chiara Mar 27th, 2001 12:06 AM

I would suggest that you leave everything in your hotel safe, except for the change you need for the day. Personally, I think it would look kind of dorky splashing around in the waves with a neck pouch, waterproof or not.

Susan Mar 27th, 2001 04:43 AM

We go to a beach destination usually every winter. We always leave our passports, etc. in a hotel safe (or at the front desk if it's a small hotel). We do carry 1 credit card, some cash and the room key with us when we go to the beach. We bought a small plastic case which is on a string that can be worn around the neck and my husband wears it. It is small - just big enough for the card and some change. It snaps shut. Just make sure it's shut before going in the water. One year in Cozumel my husband stood up in the water (we were snorkeling) and told me the case was open! He still had the card and key, but the cash was gone! I quickly dove under and found the roll of bills before it floated away.

Rex Mar 27th, 2001 06:00 AM

Room key? to the beach? Maybe in some parts of the world (Cozumel, Canada, USA, for example) - - but far more customary in europe to leave that at the front desk when you are going out of the hotel. <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex <BR>

Susan Mar 27th, 2001 06:14 AM

Thanks Rex - you're right - we don't take the room key (although we have travelled a lot in Cozumel - you must be psychic...). I meant the safety deposit key. A friend did try to hide that in his room ........ really stupid move - someone broke into his room, found the key and took the money from the room safe.

Rex Mar 27th, 2001 06:26 AM

Susan, <BR> <BR>I may be a little bit psychO, but not terribly psychIC... <BR> <BR>&lt;&lt;One year in Cozumel my husband stood up in the water &gt;&gt; <BR> <BR>:) <BR>

Anon Mar 27th, 2001 06:35 AM

Rex, right on the money as always! <BR>You are PSYCHO not psychic! <BR> <BR>jk (kindof)

Nina Mar 27th, 2001 07:23 AM

Jan, <BR>Just some information on Croatia. Croatians welcome tourists and overall any kind of theft (pick pocketing) is not done by a local. The stories I have heard of theft has always been done by a tourist committing these acts on other tourists, so keep an eye out if you are in a very touristy area. Also, on the rare occasion you run into a gypsy just be beware of your surroundings. <BR> <BR>In my experience, even if you are on a crowded beach (one with most of the locals) you can be reassured your stuff will be safe. I'm not suggesting you bring your valuables to the beach. But, for the other things that you do bring, no one will touch it. I hope you have a wonderful time! What cities will you be visiting? <BR>

Lidija Mar 27th, 2001 09:16 AM

To keep your safety deposit key bring along a safety pin and pin it on yourself. <BR> <BR>

Jan Mar 27th, 2001 02:10 PM

Thank you all for advice. Duh, I had forgotten about leaving passport with front desk if at hotel. Since haven't booked Croatia (Dubrovnik, islands in between, Split) yet, not sure if I will be in hotels or guest houses, so not sure if a safe will be a possibility. <BR> <BR>Susan&gt; The little plastic case may be what I just bought. Glad to hear it works so well. And being in my 40s, I've long given up worrying how "dorky" I might look. Doesn't concern me in the least, as long as I am considerate of the locals and their customs. <BR> <BR>Thanks all . . . I'm getting soooo excited!

Deb Mar 27th, 2001 03:08 PM

Jan, Just some advice on booking in Croatia-I would get started now. I had a difficult time in some areas finding rooms. The most difficult is Hvar where I can't find anything. I am checking into one last possibility in an apartment but don't know if I will get it.

Jan Mar 28th, 2001 02:05 AM

Thanks, Deb, for advice on booking now for Croatia. I'll get on it as soon as have made up my mind on itinerary...have opportunity to go instead to Dubai so am torn.