Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Travelgirl's European Cycling Adventure - 200 miles along the Danube River in Germany and Austria (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/travelgirls-european-cycling-adventure-200-miles-along-the-danube-river-in-germany-and-austria-739196/)

travelgirl2 Sep 26th, 2007 08:17 PM

Travelgirl's European Cycling Adventure - 200 miles along the Danube River in Germany and Austria

Hi Fodorites! Our family of 4 (me, DH, DS1 14 years old, and DS2 12 years old) recently returned from a European bicylcing adventure.

As you may remember, last summer (2006) we took an 11 week trip through Europe and Asia. I posted a long trip report as "Travelgirl's Trip of a Lifetime".

This time, I am planning to post a short trip report. Maybe it will inspire others to consider a family bicycling trip in Europe.

We almost didn't make this trip. Once I made our plane reservations, I hem'd and haw'd about whether to follow-through with our bicycling idea. I even posted on Fodor's about my indecisiveness. In the end, we decided to give it a try. And, I am so glad we did. What an adventure we had!

noe847 Sep 26th, 2007 08:26 PM

Can't wait to read about it, travelgirl. Along the Donau - I assume you went through our favorite, Regensburg.

nanabee Sep 26th, 2007 08:28 PM

I very much look forward to hearing about your trip.
Back in the 1970's my parents (in their 50's) took my siblings (all teenagers) on a three month bicycling tour of England. (I had just gotten married the previous year and had a little one and we couldn't go...but have managed to go many times since!)

sarge56 Sep 26th, 2007 09:52 PM

My sister and her hubby did 3-week cycling tour through Northern Italy. They loved it. There are some great guide books, etc out there for the cycling enthusiast who wants to do this.

I'm thinking of doing one of these myself. I just got back on a bike after 40 years, about 10 weeks ago. I'm already hooked! I think I'll plan something more "local" first, then branch out to Europe. :)

Looking forward to your report!

SandyBrit Sep 27th, 2007 02:26 AM

travelgirl2:

Please don't spare the details - I don't mind long if it is interesting.

Sandy

Vttraveler Sep 27th, 2007 03:08 AM

I do remember your earlier post considering changing the bicycle trip and am glad everything went well. I used to live in the Altmuhltal (the Altmuhl feeds into the Danube at Ingolstadt) so I imagine you rode by many of the places we used to see. My husband considered taking a bicycle trip along the Austrian part of the Danube this fall but had to abandon the idea due to work pressures. Looking forward to your report

annhig Sep 27th, 2007 05:34 AM

ttt

missypie Sep 27th, 2007 12:24 PM

I had to go all the way down to #110 to find the report....then it was just a tease....please fill us in, Travelgirl!

panecott Sep 27th, 2007 02:13 PM

I've done cycling trips thru' the Loire Valley, the Costa Azul in Portugal, the Galway Coast in Ireland, and PEI, Canada.
Cycling is a wonderful way to experience an area. It provides a true sensory feast.

julies Oct 2nd, 2007 07:52 PM

Where's the report?