Travelfunds card

Search

Travelfunds card

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 04:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Travelfunds card

Has anyone ever used the American Express TravelFunds Card, it is a pre paid debit card you can buy in euros. It seems like it has a low fees and offers American Express typical protections. I have never or know anyone one who has lost travelers checks or a card like this, can you really get replacement funds overnight? Only 15 more days till Rome!!! Linda & Mark
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 04:51 PM

Actually you should buy it in whatever your home currency is and then withdraw euro (or yen or £ depending on where you are traveling)

It is mainly useful for folks who don't have an ATM or debit card of their own - like teenagers w/o a bank account or the like.

There isn't really any reason to tie up your money with AMEX since you can just use your ATM card to access your own funds in your checking account . . .
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 05:23 PM

Can't see why this would be necessary if you already have a debit card and an AMEX card. AMEX offers a lot of unnecesary products - you have to read a lot and think hard to separate the useful ones from the useless ones. I'd classify this one as useless.

You can, if you are within reach of an AMEX office overseas, always get replacement funds quickly anyway. And gosh, in more than 50 trips to Europe I've never needed that service, so why? Just use a regular debit card to access funds from your checking account.

If there are fees associated with it, I'd forget it.

The only AMEX offerings I've found worthwhile in recent years is the $6.95 lost baggage insurance, which will pay you for whatever you need up to a reasonable amount if you and your luggage don't arrive in the same place at the same time, and the one-time $19.95 car insurance deal that pays the CDW on any car rental.

Be careful - AMEX, like everyone else these days, is trying to make a buck for all kinds of travel services, but only a few of them are really useful and cost-effective.
Old Mar 4th, 2004, 07:24 AM
ira

Hi S,

I would bring my own ATM card.
Old Mar 4th, 2004, 08:10 AM

I just ordered one of the Amex travel fund cards for my teenaged daughter, who will be traveling in the US by herself. The advantages of this card are many.
She does not have her own ATM card connected to her bank account. She would have to open a statement saving acct instead of a passbook. If I get her a card connected to her balance, there is the risk of overspending.
Statement saving at our bank have a minimum balance of 1000. So in order for her to use an ATM card from here, she would need to transfer funds into this acct 1000 in excess of her planned spending.
I can reload this card from my Amex acc't if she runs short of money, instantly.
She can charge anywhere the Amex card is accepted, and access cash from any ATM where Amex is accepted.
I think it is a great way to teach a teenager to handle "plastic" with no overspending risks.