Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Travelers Checks in Euros or US dollars & Why?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8th, 2006, 03:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know there is currently a thread that includes some of this topic, but specifically I want to know if we choose to use Travelers Checks, is it better to get them in US dollars or Euros and why? I've read from some of you to get them in US dollars. My husband read something about it being a good idea to get them in Euros.

What is the best idea and why?

Thanks for your help!!!!
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 04:09 PM
rex

Anyone who wrote... (whatever your husband read)... that travelers' check are better if denominated in one currency than another...

... is ignoring the tideswell of experience and opinion that the best travelers' checks - - are NO travelers' checks.

A T M - - say these three letters.

You can do it.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 04:33 PM

Rex, I know you are one of the best posters on Fodor's (notice, I said "one of&quot, but some of us just like the security we get from travelers checks. We are willing to pay a little more for that security.

That said, Stephie, I get them in US dollars because, when I return to the US, if I have any left (and so far I always have), I don't have to pay again to cash them in. If you get them in Euros, it will cost you to change your US dollars into TC's, and when you return to the US, you'll have to pay again to change them back to dollars.
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 04:39 PM
rex

I am not so much challenging Stephie, nor her husband - - I am just saying that the source of this reading material - - is not very much in touch with mainstream thinking on travelers' checks.

It seems a bit like writing on which kind of gloves a woman should wear, to go shopping. It's beside the point - - a bit. Not A... nor B... none.

Travelers' checks may have their place, for some very limited circumstances. But the mainstream notions have way less to do with <i>which currency</i>, and much more to do with whether at all.

All the same, I appreciated your compliment.
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 04:43 PM

Neither.
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 04:44 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
DO NOT use travelers checks in <b>any</b> denomination. Just because some folks want to stay in the 19th century for some perceived security does not make it a good idea for the VAST majority of travelers.

TCs cannot be used almost anywhere - you have to go to banks and exchange them for local currency. They get you a terrible exchange rate. And if that isn't bad enough - you have to pay fees on top to cash them. They are inconvenient and expensive.

If you still decide to use TCs - then get them in US$. &euro; TCs bought in the States are even more expensive.
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 04:49 PM

Travelers checks are a boon to the company that issues them. Many aren't used for a VERY long time or &quot;forgotten.&quot; The company gets the float.

The best way to access money is with an ATM card! Debit cards are the best.
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 04:50 PM

It's amazing how well trained we are STILL from ads in the 1970's. Good 'ole Karl!
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 05:07 PM

What &quot;added security&quot;?

Surely not the security of being able to get money when you need it!!

It is not merely that TCs are outmoded -- they are bloody inconvenient. Often NO-ONE but a bank takes them. If there is no bank or you are outside bnanking hours, heaven help you.
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 05:09 PM

Apparently it's one of those things like bringing a 70 lb suitcase on vacation; most of us don't think it's a good idea but I think the OP knew that.
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 05:12 PM

My sister got some travelers checks issued in Euros when we traveled to Italy in 2002. When we attempted to use them to pay our hotel bill at the Hotel Umbra in Assisi, the manager told us he would have to charge us $5 per hundred because they were in Euros. Don't ask me why. I just know that we found no one who would accept them as payment in Italy without some sort of cost.

We've never taken traveler's checks after our negative experience with them in Italy in 2002.

One other thing: I was a probate paralegal for 30 years, and several of the estates I handled included uncashed traveler's checks in the inventory, which were a hassle to liquidate and pay out to the heirs, resulting in increased legal fees. If ay Fodorites have uncashed travelers' chcks tucked away, do your executor and heirs a favor and cash them now.
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 05:14 PM

Can you use travelers checks at the airport to pay for luggage overage fees?
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 05:21 PM

Traveler's checks are a complete dinosaur in any currency. Getting them in euros doesn't make any difference. You'll still find that no business establishments want to take them, standing in line for forever at banks and post offices to get them cashed eats into your vacation time - and that's IF you can find a bank that will cash them, and when you do cash them, if you can, you'll pay through the nose.

There is absolutely no reason these days to use traveler's checks - hasn't been for a decade or more, actually.
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 05:21 PM

I don't think most of us were jumping on the OP. She asked an honest question.

It was Dallas who basically said &quot;Sure - they are a fine idea&quot; that got us (or at least me) riled up.
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 05:42 PM

janisj, who are you explaining to?

I think you may be thinking of another thread.
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 05:50 PM

ATM's are abundant and easy to use. I would never take much cash or traveler's checks.
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 05:53 PM

oh - that's what I get for having one eye on the NBA finals and the other on here. I completely mis-read &quot;<i>most of us don't think it's a good idea but I think the OP knew that. </i>&quot; and jumped to the OP's defense -- when no defense was needed . . . . &gt;-
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 07:46 PM

starrsville,
You may only use them to pay for overweight luggage. Also in some places (like Germany) you may use them to tip the waitress when you order tap water. They are usually very happy to receive such a largesse.
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 07:52 PM

Well who could blame you janis? The game was tied, even I watched that a bit.
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 08:17 PM

L84SKY

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -