Search

Travel videos

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20th, 2007, 07:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Travel videos

Does anyone here travel with a video camera? I didn't bring my old Sony camcorder the last time I went to Europe, as I was concerned it was too bulky and just too much of a hassle. However, I bought a Samsung MiniDV camera and I'm going back to London and Paris soon and am strongly considering bringing it this time to keep a video journal.

For those who do bring a video camera, do you ever find it too difficult to bring into certain places, or just too bulky or complicated to worry about packing?

Also, is there a good video page for travelers to post their videos? I have one (a montage of still photos from London, Paris, Luzern, Innsbruck and Munich) at YouTube, but I wasn't sure if there is a centralized travel "video" site.
Old Jun 20th, 2007, 08:31 AM

I bought one of those mini DVD video cams last summer. I made sure I had good solid case that I could pack that thing in since I knew darn well that these things can take some abuse in these sorts of travels, not to mention the rattling around in the backpack on these walks I so enjoy doing on these trips.

When I am on a safe part of the trail that has some excellent views, I just get that cam out and wrap it around the neck.

I enjoy my sony video cam. It renders excellent videos and adequate digital still shots. You folks that like high quality still pics from a digital cam are still better off with a digital cam, but if you want the convenience of both video and still shot photography, this does a fine job. I am sure the Samsung, Canon, Panasonic, JVC and other units also do a fine job.

Anyone interested in getting a good video cam, I can thoroughly recommend the Sony units and NO, I do not work for the Sony corporation, but highly approve of their video cam products.

I think most of the Sony DVD and mini DVD cams recognize the various formats. Mine records and plays back in +R -R +RW and -RW formats. I would get a cam that can record and playback in the various formats. I think most camcorders perform those functions anyway these days !

Now playing:

Over and over by Joe Walsh

Purple Haze by Jimi Hendrix

Old Jun 20th, 2007, 08:46 AM

I never really had too much of a problem with the heft of the camcorder...The reason I gave up on taking travel videos was because I was the only one that was even remotely interested in watching them after the trip. My friends and family fell asleep watching them, whereas digital photos seemed to hold their interest much longer.

I also found that too much of the recording time was spent in total silence. Even though I was usually recording educational tours, the kids seemed to shut-up when the camera was on them. The rest of the time they were talking a mile a minute. Adding my own narration as I filmed sounded ridiculous and forced. Even on family trips that I recorded I rarely picked-up anything interesting on the audio end.

I suppose if I had the equipment and the time to edit, add captions and commentary and severly curtail the running time, it might prove more entertaining. But that's why Rick Steves sells so many of his videos.

Old Jun 20th, 2007, 08:46 AM

My husband's video of our European trip last year is abolutely the best souvenir we could have. He used video editing software (U-Lead Video Studio 9) to do fades, crossfades, special effects etc. and also added music when appropriate. He had an inexpensive Canon MiniDV camera last year, but this year is thinking of upgrading to a Canon HV-20 before our trip to England this fall. We have watched it many times; and it truly is the next best thing to being there for us.
Old Jun 20th, 2007, 08:53 AM

AOL has a section called UncutVideo where you can post your own. I ran across a site called OutYo which specializes in adventure travel videos like snowboarding, etc.

The size of the video camera isn't the issue--it's the fact you almost always also want to take still photos, meaning you end up lugging around two cameras the whole time. Because of this, I settle for the video function on my regular digital camera. Granted, it's not great quality video, but I prefer still photos on vacation because most of what I shoot, like landscapes, is stationary. Some of the newer cameras (Canon's TX-1 is one example) are attempting to offer everything in one package, which is a great concept, though it doesn't sound from reviews like they're quite there yet.

Old Jun 20th, 2007, 09:19 AM

As far as the "Video" function, my Sony mini DVD cam does a fine job for a less than 1,000 dolar unit, but as I posted, the still pic quality is adequate. The still pics look fine as long as the pics are not enlarged to any degree. That is why I suggest that people pack a good digital cam for stills. Can not speak for the Canon units though, but that has been my experience with the sony units.

The audio is quite good also. I shot some Swiss folklore video in the Grindlewald area last summer and the audio was just great.

The Sony mini DVD cam I have is small enough to place in my hand. It fits nicely into a backpack deal also for easy and quick access.

Now playing:

The sun is shining by Elmore James

The sun is still shining by The Moody Blues
Old Jun 20th, 2007, 09:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses. The length of unedited raw footage is indeed a concern. I've been working as a film and video editor for the past couple years, so after hearing the feedback here I'm thinking I will almost definitely take the camera and edit together a 15-20 minute piece of the trip using the equipment that has become available since the last time I traveled.

I am curious though, if there is a security issue with bringing the camera into a lot of tourist sites?
Old Jun 20th, 2007, 11:54 AM

Now this is based on my own travel experience and this might not have happened to everyone in Foders forum that shoots video or photos in their travels, but on a few trips,a few museum managers have asked me NOT to video.

Other than that, I have never had any problems.

Most of what I video is the scenery.

I can tell some people really like to edit and create video presentations, but I just plop that mini DVD in the DVD player and watch. Even though, I am a most excellent photographer, I am the only person that watches my videos. lol

Shooting video can be a chore though. The units today are smaller and do a decent job in overall quality. The smaller units are the way to go in this imo.

I saw this one couple a few years back where this man was lugging around this big video cam, equipped with interchangeable focal length lenses. Too me that is a hardcore video enthusiasts. LOL

Now playing:

Yes: "Into the lens"

The Who: "Pictures of Lily"
Old Jun 20th, 2007, 01:40 PM

By all means take your video camera along. You will find that in some places where still pix are nor allowed (flashes), nobody will object if you shoot video.

Make sure you have some extra batteries along. It's not the tape I have run out of, but battery life.

Even at the risk that no one but myself will ever watch them, I enjoy editing my videos after each trip. Usually 2 hrs of film will result in a 25-30 minutes DVD. I find this editing process a great way to relive the trip. I am using Pinnacle Studio 10 software. I try to give the DVD a theme. Just finished a DVD of a whale watching trip in the Sea of Cortez, and themed it around John Steinbeck's Log of the Sea of Cortez book.

I'm not using a MiniDVD camera, but a slightly more bulky video camera without a problem. I find that at my age, I can hold a regular size camera more steadily.

When going through airport security be sure that you have your camera out of the bag and you will have no problems.
Old Jun 20th, 2007, 02:06 PM

We have a Sony mini-DV that I've used since 2002. It's small enough that I can slip it in my bag and it never seems to be a hassle. I've used it on every vacation since it was purchased.
Old Jun 20th, 2007, 02:24 PM

OK, now you have ME interested again in videos: Just how much of a time investment is it to edit 2-3 hours of video down to half an hour of good stuff? The task seems daunting to me but maybe it's not as bad as I fear (I hope).
Old Jun 20th, 2007, 02:35 PM

My DH says it took him about 5 hours to edit each hour of "raw" video. Of course, this will depend on how particular you are, how "tight" you want the finished product to be, and whether or not you want to add music, titles, special effects etc.

It's possible these days to produce videos that are entertaining to folks who aren't even related to you! ;-) It's a lot of work but can be pretty intense fun.
Old Jun 28th, 2007, 10:39 AM

I personally have never been so good at taking videos, but I LOVE watching them.

You might want to consider uploading your videos to Travelistic (www.travelistic.com) - its a video site (just like YouTube) but just for travelers. I visit the site quite frequently.
Old Jun 28th, 2007, 10:58 AM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
This is why I just take my digital photos, clean them up, put them in order to my liking and create a nice slide show with fun transitions and appropriate music.

I am sure a lot of you create good videos, and if you have that that talent, more power to you. In the videos I have seen done by friends, there is way too much walking and talking (and way too long), and not enough of where they are and what they're doing.

As for me, I'd rather have the pictures do the talking to relive our journeys.

Old Jun 28th, 2007, 11:26 AM

Since I am a fabulous photographer, I shoot some fine video and still imaging; however, as good as my videos are from a photo technic point of view, and they are quite good, I know no one. NO ONE. Did I say NO ONE? NO ONE wants to view these things. lol Once in a while, I get them out and enjoy them.

I have no editing skills and have no desire to get software for editing.

Worst videos I ever saw was of this video of a European trip this family shot. The camera was never in focus, the person moved the camera back and forth. This person loved the zoom function a little too much because it would zoom in and out and in and out and innnn and ouuuut. lol

I think videos are a great way to store memories though. I think people should get one and pack it.

Best video cam I ever had was a Sony hi8 cam. That made some really great videos.

There are books one can buy that can instruct people how to make decent home videos.

Tips such as HOLD THE CAMERA STILL.

Zoom only when you must zoom.

Composition or framming the video is all important. Using the ole thirds thing for composition is good.

Why people insist on maxing out their zoom before the pixels start breraking down is beyond me.

Anyway, get a book or google how to make god home videos.

Here is a link to cnet for some video what to and what not to do.

http://www.dadcafe.co.uk/articles/home-video-tips.php

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6500_7-5510172-1.html

Now playing:

Rod Stewart: Every picture tells the story

Status Quo: Pictures of matchstick men

Old Jun 28th, 2007, 04:14 PM

My husband wouldn't travel without his cameras. And thank the travel gods for the ever increasing miniaturization of the equipment. When we first traveled, the camera bag weighed in at 26 pounds. This year with a miniDV and a still camera with a 512 photo memory, it was under 5 and fit inside the carryon -- instead of being the carry-on.
O
Old Jun 28th, 2007, 04:41 PM

As I was saying when I hit the wrong button...
Over the years, we have put together a number of well-received presentations for the local library's travel program and have jokingly named our "film company" Wairdaygoh-Distime Productions. Our presentations always have a theme -- most recently we completed "Castles and Airs" about castles and male choruses in Wales -- and include appropriate background music and narration. It can take us two or three trips to film everything we need for a 45-minute film and months of sporadic work choosing the images, structuring the film, researching and writing the narration, assembling the film with score, narration, titles, et al.
Our children might laugh at us, but the senior citizens love us.