Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

20th Anniversary-Leave Kids Alone In Hotel Room?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18th, 2014, 08:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hello,
Next year will be our 20th wedding anniversary. We are planning a trip with our two daughters who will be 14 and 18 at that time to Paris. Would it be considered a bad idea to leave them alone in the hotel room for one evening while my wife and I go to dinner/show?
We'll be there over Christmas for one week.
Thank you. B
Old Feb 18th, 2014, 08:38 AM

I've never been to Paris, but at 14 and 18, I see no reason leaving your girls alone would be a serious issue.
Old Feb 18th, 2014, 08:38 AM

By alone, I mean alone in the hotel room.
Old Feb 18th, 2014, 08:40 AM

I wouldn't leave them alone in a hotel room - what a bore! I'd send them out to explore the streets of Paris! Mine were all over Paris alone at those ages.
Old Feb 18th, 2014, 08:41 AM

They are certainly old enough to be left alone, and yes, certainly old enough to be out ON their own while you have a celebratory dinner. Have you asked THEM what they think about this idea?
Old Feb 18th, 2014, 08:41 AM

I agree with the caveat that I would only leave them alone in the hotel if I were comfortable leaving them alone at home. You know your kids, I don't.

At 18 though, I expect someone to be an adult and capable of accepting adult responsibilities like watching over a 14 year old.
Old Feb 18th, 2014, 08:43 AM

Let them go have a pizza or something in a restaurant nearby. An 18-year old is an adult, she can look after her sister.

And congratulations on your anniversary!
Old Feb 18th, 2014, 08:48 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>> <i>We are planning a trip with our two daughters who will be 14 and 18 at that time to Paris. Would it be considered a bad idea to leave them alone in the hotel room for one evening while my wife and I go to dinner/show?</i><<

I'm sorry -- but why on earth would this even be an issue? One of them is 18 years old after all. She is an adult - she can go any darn place she wants (or stay in for that matter).

. . . Unless the older daughter has a mental disability of some sort and the 14 yo is the care taker when you are not around . . . but if that was the case you likely would have mentioned it.
Old Feb 18th, 2014, 09:09 AM

I actually understand your concern-if your kids have not traveled alone in large cities before at night, I could see be a bit nervous. I think a great idea would be for you and your wife to arrange a dinner in an area not to far from where your kids could also enjoy a movie and pizza out for instance.

The best wood fired pizzas in Paris IMO are served on rue de Canettes in the Latin Quarter near St. Germain. Two of the well known ones are:

Pizza Positano 15,rue des Canettes, 75006 Paris
Chez Bartalo 7, Rue des Canettes, 75006 Paris

Although I prefer one called Santa Lucia 22,rue des Canettes, 75006 Paris because it has a bit more space. When we have friends visit with teens we always go to pizza one night since it is economical and everybody seems to like pizza

There are tons of movie theaters near there as well and also that area is well known for student shopping since it is really pretty much of a student area. If you and your wife stayed in that same area-you will find some really nice restaurants as well and you might not feel like you are too far away.
Old Feb 18th, 2014, 09:18 AM

The elder is certainly old enough to go out to student cafes and pubs - and when our were similar ages they spent a good part of a trip in Paris doing things THEY wanted while we did others - including in the evening.

If you feel they are too naive (isnt; an 18 year old away at school?) - or the 14 year old won;t follow the rules - then you will need to sort it out. But at 18 mine were adults living at school - as I had been at that age - and running their own lives.

Much better that they have a plan for the evening - where to eat dinner and a museum or ballet or something to go see/do.
Old Feb 18th, 2014, 09:26 AM

Well, when we celebrated OUR 20th anniversary in Paris we took all 3 of our children that age WITH us to a wonderful celebration dinner. And actually we did it again for our 40th in Paris.
Old Feb 18th, 2014, 09:28 AM

The second time the kids had their spouses with them!!
Old Feb 18th, 2014, 09:44 AM

An 18 year old is a full on adult. They can't keep her in if they want to. Now, she may be 'unworldly' and still seeks her parent's permission to do things. That is absolutely fine. That is between her and the parents. But she is an adult and to ask if it is 'OK' for her/both girls to be in a hotel room alone just doesn't seem a serious question.
Old Feb 18th, 2014, 09:47 AM

If you trust them, I also think they could go out somewhere safe given the older is 18, She would be doing stuff at night, anyway.

I was in a hotel once where the owners let their teen kids alone in the room, and the kids were very noisy and I complained to the hotel. Don't let that happen. DO you know how noisy your kids are when you aren't around?
Old Feb 18th, 2014, 10:13 AM

Perhaps we are underestimating the OP. Since his name is modestobruce, I'm going to guess that he's from Modesto, and not Podunk.

I'm also wondering if mb was thinking of letting his kids do what they want for dinner, and then go back to the room alone. Maybe he just didn't take the time to spell out all the circumstances.

Bruce, leave those kids alone.
Old Feb 18th, 2014, 10:58 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Let them go to a movie or just explore the city. You will have probably been in Paris for a few days already before this event, so you will see what a simple and safe city Paris is.

And frankly, the 18 year old -- do you really think that she would stay in the room all evening no matter what she promises you?
Old Feb 18th, 2014, 11:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies!!! The older one is a naive young lady albeit very intelligent. Maybe I'm projecting my fears. My parents left me alone in a movie theater in New Orleans when I was 12. Some seedy, creepy guys were sitting near me and one made a comment about where's my friends and family? I like the idea of a nearby pizza place but walking around Paris without us at night isn't going to happen.
Old Feb 18th, 2014, 11:58 AM

>>walking around Paris without us at night isn't going to happen.<<

IMO that is silly. Have you been to Paris before? - wait til you are there and you'll see. (BTW - I'm from the Central Valley - Paris is <B>MUCH</B> safe than Modesto, 10,000% safer than Stockton.)

Do realize that a huge numbers of 18 yo's travel to Paris . . . <u>all by themselves</u>.

And projecting what happened to you at 12 on an 18 yo - my goodness.
Old Feb 18th, 2014, 12:08 PM
Original Poster

Maybe I watch too many Liam Neesan (sp?) movies, lol. I suppose my attitude will change as we get over there but you don't know my daugher, she has a very innocent view on life. The younger one will be the protector. Yea, Modesto/central valley has gotten pretty dangerous.
Old Feb 18th, 2014, 12:24 PM

Things are going to get a bit romantic when you return from a 20th anniversary dinner. Send the teenagers out for a walk at midnight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -