Reload this Page >

Anyone Read Luigi Barzini?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7th, 2000, 04:25 PM
Nancy

I am the person who posted "Will Italians Think ..." <BR>about speaking my beginning Italian in Italy. <BR>I have received great advice and info on things I didn't know about, and support for using my beginners Italian over there. <BR> The purpose of this posting is that someone mentioned Luigi Barzini in replying to my "Will Italians Think..." <BR>I found out who he was,an Italain writer and journalist, who died in 1984. <BR>He wrote a book , called THE ITALIANS, among other things, and it sounds interesting. <BR>Some reviewers thought it a biased and generalized account of southern Italians, <BR>While others thought it humorous and informative. <BR>Since we will be in Italy for two weeks next yr, I think it would be great to know more than some language, interesting sites ,a little history. <BR>I would like to find some books (in English *please*, my Italian is not that good yet) <BR>By Italian writers about Italy. <BR>So if any one can help me out with Signore Barzini, or any other interesting writers, I would love to know. <BR>T^hanks! <BR>Nancy <BR>

Old Jul 7th, 2000, 04:54 PM
kam

Read The Italians a long time ago. It was recommended to me by my 100% Sicilian/American father-in-law. At the time, I was not so knowledgeable about Italy but remember it was a good book. Maybe I should find it and read it again.

Old Jul 7th, 2000, 06:09 PM
wes fowler

Nancy, <BR>In addition to <BR>Barzini's "The Italians", you might want to check into his "From Caesar to the Mafia; Sketches of Italy". I'd recommend two superb novels as well: Manzoni's "I Promessi Sposi" (The Betrothed in English) and Lampadusa's "The Leopard". The latter was made into a movie some years ago starring Burt Lancaster. The novel is brilliant; the movie was not.

Old Jul 7th, 2000, 07:14 PM
lola

I read it long ago and loved it. He had fabulous insights that will hold up today, I'm sure.

Old Jul 8th, 2000, 04:37 AM
RJD

Barzini explains the Italian national cuture and the difference between the north and the south in ways you will understand when you visit there. Pay special attention to his story of Cola de Renzi and the rings. Some other fascinating books on the history of Rome, Florence and the Medicis were written by an American named Hibbert. They are easy to read and wonmderfully infomative.

Old Jul 8th, 2000, 04:49 AM
nancy

Dear Kam,Wes,Lola, and RJD (who started this for me!) <BR>Thanks all for your input and further reading suggestions. <BR>Now I have something else I can get totally wrapped up in, besides learnig the language, the literature! <BR>Thanks again, and I look forward to any further input, and suggestions. <BR>Loro sono molto gentile! <BR>Nancy

Old Jul 8th, 2000, 03:11 PM
justme

Nancy, <BR>Someone topped Pre-Trip Reading and A Little Italy EveryDay. <BR>Read them for more reading suggestions! <BR>Enjoy

Old Jul 9th, 2000, 12:25 PM
sueann

Nancy, <BR>I enjoyed THE ITALIANS&gt; <BR>Has anyone read either his MEMORIES OF MISTRESSES, <BR>or FROM CESEAR TO THE MAFIA.??? <BR>Thanks. <BR> <BR>