Travel to Tuscany need advice on where to stay

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29th, 2006, 10:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are traveling to Tuscany in February for 10 days. We will be flying into and out of Florence. We want to tour Tuscan wineries, spa's, mountains, etc. We are planning to rent a car for this. We haven’t decided if we should just choose a home base or hop around to different hotels. We are adventurous and like small quaint hotels or B&B's. Can anyone recommend some options on where to go and where to stay? Do you recommend a home base or reserving different hotels in different areas? Our hotel budget is under $200 USD / night.
Old Dec 29th, 2006, 03:56 PM

retraish,
Send me an e-mail and I will send some advice for Tuscant.

Henry
Old Dec 29th, 2006, 04:41 PM

Hi there....if you've never spent time in Florence, it's worth it to spend 2 nights there. When we were in Tuscany previously, we spent 7 nights in one accommodation and 3 nights in another. This summer, we will be there for 8 nights, 4 nights in each accommodation. I find the home base idea a good one in order to settle in and explore the surrounding area.
For this summer, for example, we will spend 4 nights in Montepulciano at Relais San Bruno, and then 4 nights near Greve in Villa Vignamaggio (we stayed there last time). Both areas are close both to major centres such as Siena and San Gimignano and small towns.
enjoy your trip,
CC
Old Dec 29th, 2006, 04:42 PM

Retraish,
I posted a similar thread this morning, wondering about going to Florence and staying in the city or sticking with the countryside. My husband and I have very similar interests to yours and our budget is the same. I got some good suggestions of general websites to look at; they might be helpful to you as well. I'll be sure to check back on your thread, though, and you should check mine, and we'll see what lodgings people come up with.
Old Dec 29th, 2006, 05:02 PM

We were crazy about this place -- four apartments in a privately owned villa right in Montepulciano, but looking out across their garden to the countryside so you have a rural feeling as well. They have added four more apartments next door. They have private parking in their garden.
And the cost is only about half of what you mention. We stayed in apartment number 3 and was wonderful, even with a terrace with a little fireplce, if you wanted to brave sitting out there in February.

http://web.tiscali.it/poggiolo/poggiolo_home.htm